As demanded by some...

And as feared by others: a long report of how a Lotus Elise S1 left the UK for Belgium.

So there I was, getting a ticket for Eurostar Brussels-London Waterloo. First surprise: a one-way ticket Brussels-London costs 120 Eur more than a 2-way ticket. It seems trivial but state-run railroad companies never stop surprising me (they never make a profit either)

Trainjourney -starting at 06Hr50 am- was uneventful and contrary to popular believe (Engeland where trains are late and slow): smooth connections, hardly any waiting untill the last bit (Newport (Gwent)) where I had to wait an hour.

No prob: I went for breakfast at 1100 am. Searched and found a kind of snack, not too scrubby, ordered the bespoke breakfast. I was the only customer. While waiting at the counter, 3 younsters came in: 2 girls and a lad (about 18-20) and sat down the table next to mine. Little problem: their table had but 2 chairs.

What did the bloke do? Tossed my coat on the ground, took my seat.

So I went to him and said that it was my coat and my chair. I could have been speaking to a cow, the same eyes. So I took him by the scruff of his neck. Hell: no bones, only blubber! Still got my chair back along with some mumbling.

Ate my breakfast. Next time along with travel info -thanks again for those who replied- I will need some adresses where one can have that famous English breakfast. What I got there, was even under my cooking capabilities.

An hour later and I was in Lydney and after a short walk found the Lotus Elise waiting for me. The car was as descibed (thanks Adrian!), after a testdrive the cash changed parties and I had a grey Elise 135 Sport with a Lotus short ratio box and sport suspension, not forgetting a hard top.

Adrian told me he always put in 95 Ron, I filled her up with 98 Ron and hit the road. After about 5 minutes there was a noticeable change in power: cruising speed went from 60 tot 70 MPH... hey hey :-)

Steering, brakes all nice and unassisted, brakes felt like wood untill I warmed them a bit up (and got used the feel). This piece of kit stops on a nickel :-)

After about half an hour the Lotus -and I- had enough of walking and we went running (what do you think?). Under 3000 RPM noice is acceptable, above 3000 RPM ... the installed radio CD is pretty useless. The stainless exhaust is a fair bit louder but who cares. 100 MPH came up with no problem, I ran out of RPM at 140 MPH due to the short ratio box.

Straight to London then... The GF (top-notch navigator) couldn't come along and what did I do? Drive around London? Nope, straight through and got lost within

10 minutes. 90 minutes of trafic jam, seeing Big Ben, Marble Arch and finally a sign for Dover. The Elise coped fine. As some said: RHD was not hard but I searched a fair few times the gearstick in the wrong place.

I guess people - the kind who drive Jeeps, Land Rover and such- can not see an Elise, it being somewhat low. I had -again- my fair deal of drivers sleeping at

60 MPH on the fast lane with no-one to the left. Hell: while Germany is taking over the British car industry , there is no excuse for the British not to steal some German discipline on the road. Please to NOT steal Russian road manners!

Me at Dover, 2 hours before the P&O-ferry left. So doing some roadholding tests in the neighbourhood: the Elise gives a lot of confidence but the sport suspension is bonehard and my bum became quite sore.

Tried some drifting around roundabouts (without trafic in sight) but it needs less grip or more power to do that. I'll settle for more power ;-)

Caught my ferry and the heavens opened: heavy rain, thunder and lighting. For those taking a ferry to Calais: go for Norfolk Line instead of P&O. At Norfolk you can play PS2-Elise for free. P&O charged me 3 UKP for a coffee... Fell asleep in the bar and was kindly waked up by crew personel when the ship had allready docked. Had to run to the Elise courtesy of those people waiting, cursing and using their horn so that the stupid Belgian would move his car.

Calais was pitchdark, no signs, heavy raining (the inside of the Elise stays dry: the hardtop will stay on). A lot of standing water on the road, people driving at 30 kph, the Elise passed witout a hitch at 3 times that speed: so there was the reason for the bathtub-design of the chassis :-)

The GF was missed a lot: got lost again. Drove at random but managed to find Dunkerque and then De Panne, Veurne, I was in Belgium! Full speed down to Brussels... I arrived at home around 02Hr30 am.

Tucked the Elise in the garage and -of course- couldn't sleep. Went to bed anyway wondering about fuel comsumption: it hardly uses any! Did 240 miles using only 30 liters! The NSX would need about the double while you would have to drive pussy-footed or the 928 would claim triple. Let's leave the Cossie out of the equation on this one :)

Feeling quite OK now: my own little collection of cars is growing nicely. No excuse for an Italian F-car any more I guess. I however need more space!

So: that is it. Inspected the car in detail next day, all the children of the neighbourhood came inspecting too. Being still a kid, I drove the whole bunch around, took pictures with them in the car, printed the photos in the office. If I want to become a politician I might have some votes.

Mental note: get some stainless screws from the workshop and replace those (surface) rusted Lotus fixings.

The Elise is OK, in a state acceptable for a 1997 car. Maintenance was done locally, not immediately to Lotus standards but I guess a fair bit cheaper. Overall a fine car. Still working how to get elegantly out of it though!

GF likes it (this IS important!), I like her ;) Mom likes it too (this is important too) but flatly refuses to get in (most people refuse to be passenger while I am driving). Little brother is allready hinting to put the Elise in his garage.( he will have to wait a bit ;-))

Cheers to all.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Tom De Moor wrote a little story about going to England.

Thank you very much Mr De Moor, I enjoyed that story.

I've never been to Belgium, and I've only ever bought 2 cars, and one of them was from AstraVanMan.

I do plan to have owned an elise and some sort of Porsche before I die.

I hope you enjoy your new purchase.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

The Elise is a real piece of work.

I won't own one. Or maybe I will. Hmm. I'd do something really stupid in one...

NSX or Elise. NSX or Elise. NSX or Elise...!

Reply to
DervMan

There are few things certain in life: death (some argue about it) and taxes (none argue about it). But your plan is also certain, Doug, and it will happen sooner than you think.

Thx,

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

A mate of mine loves them. In fact, I think he once said that if he could draw what a car should look like, it would be a S1 Elise.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Derv,

I've been forced to choose when I was younger (went to school where teachers were nuns): you take this or you take that, you take coffee but then you can't have choclat, etc. Though I guess it was a good school, I never liked it and when leaving I made myself a promise: never to choose (and certainly never letting other people choose for me).

So my humble advice as to you being thorn between NSX and Elise: never choose, just make sur you've got adequate parking space and get them both.

;-)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Doug, this should sort you out for one of your plans:

I have the 250GB one, and it does what it says on the tin.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Another fine write up Tom :-) I look forward to the day you go pick up something from, say, China, and drive it home :-D

Reply to
DanTXD

Ah, the 924 of portable storage...

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Hmmm, I could get killfiled for the report China-Brussels...

However it is just too bad that one can't drive to the US: I can't get the officals to comprehend that I have a car in Brussels , which needs to get to Anaheim, Ca for engine work after which it must come back to Brussels.

The number of papers and clearances needed to just have the autorisation to ship the car over is mindboggling, never mind finding a transporter. At the embassy somebody told me to contact a Formula 1 team to check out how they do it! Sure, I'll ring Bernie up. Maybe he is allready sober after Schumacher's party...

For some reason they can't understand why a German car should go to the US for tuning while the owner stays in Europ. Secondly it seems they grasp even harder that I want it back.

And no: driving it through Russia and sneaking into the US via Alaska and Canada is strictly no-go.

Tom De Moor`

Reply to
Tom De Moor

How will you live with the drop in performance compared to Ye Olde Uglye Sylva ?...

P.S. Got engine, got exhaust, got most things actually. Got man booked to weld up engine mounts to fit new engine. Add propshaft and ancillaries and away we go. Just need to make up a special extra lanky foam racing seat...

Have you any spare time in the next few weeks for doing a bit of engine transplanting ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

No no, THAT sounds like a story...

Reply to
DanTXD

Both. But if only one then NSX. Elise is the lighter car but the NSX has power.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I don't have an Elise or a Porsche yet... I'm more worried about the lack of performance in the Sylva after we've been towing it around in the 306 Diesel.

Maybe not.

Cool! When can I have a peek?

I'm busy this Saturday, possibly this Sunday and generally on Tuesday evenings. Other than that: have spanners will travel.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Er what time was that at? Have you paid the London congestion tax?

Peter Hill

Fair enough. I'm still at that stage in the life cycle whereby there's always an element of compromise in vehicle choice.

Hahahhaahahaha! I'd need to live somewhere less pikey and Lotus would need to sell a diesel Elise too.

Reply to
DervMan

But the Elise is reputed to have the handling edge and it'll use less fuel on my commute... ;)

Reply to
DervMan

LOL!

Hmmm. It's easier if you take it...

Are you _sure_ about that?

Reply to
DervMan

It was around 19Hr00 saturday evening. No congestion tax had to be paid as that is not due during week-ends.

Otherwise they charge 8 UKP (is indicated).

Greets,

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

You'll get by. I tried earlier on to have versatile cars: got a 405 estate, tuned, which I also used for my work.

Proved to be an expensif mistake: it was not very good for the work I did and - as my tools were in it- it was heavy loaden when I was off duty. Driving a too fast car all the time makes that you get used to the speed -you tend to drive pedal to the metal all the time- and then you pass that %&@#$^@ speed camera with the cop sleeping next to it...

Now I tend to have a car for what is designed for: 2 company cars ( a kinda van and a car when I have to meet clients) and some personal cars. The latter do very limited mileage (< 8000 km a year) which keeps their running costs low.

Main advantage is that every time you get in one, you feel the difference to the normal workcars. I like to feel the difference.

You are handy enough to get some barbed wire to put around it, aren't you? Otherwise find some military spec barbed wire, it's called Berca or Berka -it's like small razor blades on a wire-, let it rust and leave the picked kind to rot in it.

As to an Elise Diesel: in the UK that conversion would be a piece of cake and appropriate diesel engines of all kinds are available. Should be nice on fuel:

3-4 l/100 km max but you might need an extra cushion on both seats or jars of pills against a wooden feeling in the lower part of your back will be imposed.

IRCC there were /are dieseled Lotus 7 clones capable of 1000 km on a 25 liter tank. Don't know about the fun factor though but to the Dutch (or Scots) it might sound like Valhalla.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor