Audi Diesel Advice

As a result of my "What's quick with good mpg?" thread, I've been taking a look at the Audi A6 2.5 TDI as recommended. It seems like the A4 is also available with the same lump. Not sure what the difference is between an A4 and A6, is it sheer size or is there more to it? Also, am I right in thinking that a VW Passat is pretty much the same car as the A4? Do they have the same diesel options available?

Cheers Dan

Reply to
<a>

The 2.5TDI engine in the A4 is the V6 diesel - a nice engine, but it's not the same as the 5-cylinder one I was raving on about, which was, AFAIK, only available in the late shape Audi 100 and early shape A6, and is much more economical than the V6.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You creamed off when you saw someone finally wanted an Audi like yours didn't you :) ?

Reply to
DanTXD

And a variation on the same lump is available in quite a few Volvos as well up to about 2001.

Reply to
Networkguy

So what years would the early shape A6 cover?

Reply to
<a>

Apologies for replying to my own post, but looking on an insurance website it appears the 2.5TDI comes in 115 and 140bhp versions, is this correct? If so, how do you identify the 140 versions?

Reply to
<a>

And what's more, it's available in 180bhp guise - once chipped to ~220bhp, it'll make a *very* capable point-to-point car.

Reply to
Nom

Many (all?) of the 140BHP ones had 6-speed gearboxes.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

You dirty boy, how dare you suggest such a thing!

But it is nice to think that my words of wisdom may have influenced someone.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The 140bhp version started in 1995, though the early shape A6 started on an L reg (don't know if it was right from '93, or some time in '94). The

115bhp version started in 1991 in the late shape Audi 100, but the A6, although only slightly modified in terms of appearance (more chrome strips, clear indicators) had a lot of improvments in terms of suspension etc. compared to the late 100.

I think.

There are some people that tell you that the 115bhp engine is exactly the same engine as the 140bhp one, but I'm not completely convinced. If one was to buy a 115 and get it chipped to 140 would it be *exactly* the same? I don't know, but I'd bet there'd be something somewhere or other that was uprated in some way on the 140 version.

140bhp models have a red "I" in the TDI badge, but don't take that as gospel - the wrong badge could have been put on. In theory you can tell by the engine code, but I looked at one that the bloke swore was definitely a 140bhp model (as his Dad had mentioned several times that it was the better of the two - he had inherited the car and was upgrading to a V6 diesel) even though the engine no. suggested that it was 115bhp. I forget the engine codes, but it's the 1st 3 letters that are important - a google search should pick them up.

Oh, and back to the question (congratulations if you've not fallen asleep yet, most do) - it was produced up until 1997/P reg, though I have seen one on an R plate (not seen, but enquired about) - entirely possible as the estate version of the new shape was introduced a year or two after the saloon.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yup - all of the 140bhp models had 6-speed boxes, but the 6-speed box was an option on the 115bhp version, so basically a 6-speed gearbox doesn't say for sure what one it is, it's the other way around - the 5-speed will tell you it's definitely a 115bhp version.

Talking of the 5-speeds though - I was chatting to an Audi enthusiast ages ago (phoned up about an A6 he was selling, having already got one, I'm like that - it had grey leather interior!) and he said the gearchange on the

5-speed boxes actually had a nicer feel (in terms of the physical spacing between the gears on the gearstick) than the 6-speed, though the 6-speed still has a great feel (which I'd definitely agree with).

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

H*ynes Book of Lies:

100/A6 5cyl diesel engine codes -

2370cc indirect injection naturally aspirated 164kW (sic) AAS (I think they mean 64kW = 85bhp)

2460cc direct injection turbo 85kW (115bhp) ABP or AAT 2460cc direct injection turbo 103 kW (140bhp) AEL
Reply to
Rachael

What's that one - never heard of that - AFAIK the 2.5TDI 115bhp was the first diesel Audi ever used (VW used lots before, but Audi didn't until

1991), with the "we'll wait until we develop something decent before using it", in the same way as Honda have waited until now to use diesels, but have come up with a really good one.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Peter, you got a personal e-mail address I can contact you at? Don't want to bore the group too much!

Cheers Dan

Reply to
<a>

Um, don't really know much about this one. I don't think it made it to the A6 model. The cylinder bore is 79.5mm, which suggests it's an early dieselized version of the original 2144cc 5 cyl. I guess it's very rare over here, might be a few German taxis still running around using it.

Reply to
Rachael

Yeah, but they love it anyway!

Drop me a line on peter at swerve web (that's all the one word, like), dorothy com.