Audis nearly done

Heres the story so far....

Audi quoted 3 k to do the work, I said no and took it to a gearbox place, they have told me today after removing the box that the linkage fork is gone, and also 1st gear has exploded and some casing is cracked.

For some reason I dont belive them but there is nothing I can do, how can a gear explode when your stopped in traffic, there was no noise, 2nd gear selects fine, and the car drives perfect apart from not being able to selct the desired gears, I also am having the clutch replaced, he said it was half worn but if I want to replace it I could, so the overall cost is £1000 does this seem expensive to you?

Ronny

Reply to
Ron

to me yes but then i know shit bout audi's

there's a place that recons a gearbox for around £300 on most cars depending on make and if it's an auto ect and my mate would change a clutch for £200 and a nearby mechanic down the road from me would do it for around the same then again that's a MK1 clutch so part cost is fudge against an audi i guess.

i'm guessing it's pricy by what £200-300? plus i hate places that talk s**te :)

Reply to
Vamp

Ask to photograph and inspect the parts for your upcoming complaint to Audi - they can't honestly complain or refuse.

Is it expensive ?

It's an Audi - a 4wd one at that and it's got to be more expensive as well as more complicated to fix than a 2wd car- think about the labour costs alone in getting the transmission out and in. I'm afraid you're just enjoying the downside of driving a car which would now cost you 25 grand if you were to buy a new one - complicated technology = expense. All the stuff that attracted you to it in the 1st place ? ;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Yup, so I'm just ganna take the hit, its the only thing that has gone wrong with the car, apart from a water pipe splitting in 4 yrs, so cant be bad, can you belive though 150k miles on 1 clutch and he said its still only half worn, thats gotta be a record :)

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

Except Ronny's Audi has done 150K ! He'd be laughed out of the door.

Reply to
Nom

Except he's not *really* going to sue ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond

Even so thats nothing for a quattro gearbox, its normally pretty bulletproof. Plus I dont drive it like a c**t :) < getitng sensible now

Reply to
Ronny

Dunno what state the clutch on my 205 was in, but it had 195k miles on it and had survived 4 learner drivers. I had no reason to suspect it was badly worn.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Just picked the car up, wow its great, so different...

Clutch is so smooth now, I dont have to cringe when I press the pedal, gear stick has no slop, and changing is very smooth.

This is what went wrong

5 hours to remove and refit gearbox

4 hours to strip gearbox

1 hour to fit new 1/2nd gear fork 1 hour to fit new 1/2nd gear hub 1 hour to fit new 1st gear 1 hour to fit Clutch kit

Transmission Fluid and Gaskets

12 month warranty

940 quid

Just FYI

Reply to
Ronny

Just think your self lucky it isn't the new Audi TT 2 clutch sequential thingy.

You would have had to pay extra for the subcontracted witch (I believe Mr Clarkson when he says they work on Witchcraft). I doubt the transmission place would have seen enough of them on a regular basis to employ one permanently on site.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

From the description, the retainer detached and jammed in between the first gear cogs. That could happen at any moment, but normally wouldn't. There's little enough space in there, so this isn't normal wear and tear, it's "what breaks up when you put three bits of hard metal into the same space."

Once you've munched bits off your cog wheels, those bits also have to go somewhere so more damage would usually be expected. A replacement gearbox wouldn't be too surprising, a pity though that would be.

Having said that, you'd expect a largish piece of metal to break off early on or not at all, I can't see this being a quality issue. I'd think some sort of misadventure caused the problem and the gearbox damage is the inevitable consequence of that problem. Could be 150 miles, 150,000 miles, or 500,000 miles, except that when the box is worn, it takes less damage from foreign intrusion. If you see what I mean. As to whether it is true in the first place I have no idea, ditto prices. ;)

Reply to
Sales!

To be honest, for all that work, that really ain't a bad price at all if you ask me.

Got the cambelt done on my Audi the other day, all in all (including VAT) it came to £480 - that was basically replacing the two belts, and 2 tensioners for each belt (or one roller and one tensioner), which was 4.5 hours' labour at around £55/hour. Expensive, but still probably cheaper than a main dealer (they had to replace a tensioner that normally doesn't need replacing as the bearing was getting towards knackered), and the place I got it done at (Wheelbase in Hersham, Surrey) seems to come very highly recommended from a *lot* of people, so I'm happy to pay that much every 60000 miles. As part of the job they also electronically checked the injector pump timing, which was a fair bit out, so my engine's much quieter and less smoky now as well, so I'm quite chuffed. Also, I've got a lighter wallet, so less wear and tear on the pockets.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

pete while they were there u should have got them to change water pump and thermostat, if they go between now and and next cam belt change, they gotta do the job all over again, also I hope you got the serpentine belt changed at the same time?

Ronny

Reply to
Ron

I asked them about the water pump, and they said that in their experience if it's not leaking and all seems to be ok then it's better to leave it, and that the V6 diesels generally have problems with the water pump a lot more than the 5-cylinder ones.

And what's a serpentine belt? Is that the one that drives the PAS pump etc.?? Yep, they changed that as well.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Given the cost of a waterpump, then it's a false economy not to replace it at the same time as the belts.

If it seizes, then you can quite easily end up with the same sort of bill as you would do if you break a belt......

Reply to
SteveH