Back from my trip, need a car

Hey all hope you're well!!

As per the subject, I'm in the market for some wheels. Blimey, hasn't petrol gone up a lot since I was away!

SWMBO and I are tempted by the following cars for our two car fleet:

Car 1, daily driver - Mazda MX-5 (seen quite a few under the 2k mark but they're always sold when I phone). Prefer a racing green one with a tan hood or the second choice is a silver one. Possibly that blue colour they do as well. Turbo one would be nice (just so we're on topic)!

Car 2, Mercedes W123 estate, preferably a 240D what with the price of fuel, or maybe a petrol one on LPG?

So as you can see we want some style, fun and practicality. What does the group reckon? And where's the best place to look these days?

Reply to
fishman

240D??? You do realise you'll be walking if you're in a hurry? Get a 280TE and suffer the fuel, ffs.

Autotrader, Loot, Forums.. anywhere but Ebay, that seems to be incredibly overpriced lately.

Reply to
Pete M

Hi :-) (formerly DanTXD/405 etc etc)

Fine choice, Doug has one, he'll be along to spoon you shortly.

Autotrader, Pistonheads, forum related to motor.

Reply to
DanB

Not for two grand without it being terminal. Decent Mk1 MX5s cost decent money and you really don't want to see the majority of sub-1500 quid MX5s, no matter if they're imports or not.

You'd get a decent-ish early 1.6 for about 1.5k, a little cheaper if it's an import. A looked after one and/or a 1.8 will be nearer the 2k mark.

A turbo or supercharged one will be anywhere between 3k/4k if it's been done properly, as there's a huge market for them out there.

Heh. A W124 250D or better 300D, is a *much* better choice. Someone actually advertised a 240TD *auto* on ebay recently. You'd get overtaken by rogue continents in that one.

Indeed, although I'm hoping that the A8 I'm currently watching will come out somewhere at least somewhere near the Pistonheads pricing area.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Oooohhh, he said LPG !!!!

(Pitchin' a tent as we speak).........

;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I looked into W124s a while back and was hugely put off by the MB OC / Forum I looked up whose attitude seemed to be that it was reasonable to spend a small fortune on a 15 year old estate if I wanted it to be reliable. TBH if I were you, I'd get a diesel hatch or estate from France for peanuts.

Reply to
Doki

I know where there's a pretty tidy G plate Eunos 1.6 with AC and a few other bits you could probably have for £1500. It's red, needs a bloody good buff and probably new rear shocks. I've done plenty of miles in it and it's a nice old thing.

Not too far from Fishman Towers either.

Reply to
Pete M

I need LPG. 14 mpg is beginning to piss me off a bit at 103.9 a litre...

Reply to
Pete M

... to come up in three different shades of red ... :)

Not very expensive and quite easy to change, but you/he should get the alignment redone afterwards.

They're quite good, aren't they? Mine's now sporting Gaz coilovers, which improved the handling noticeably, and it's not like they're bad in standard form.

I may also have a few 1.6l go-faster bits for sale as some of them are slightly incompatible with each other...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

103.9? That's Oop North, isn't it? Down here I'm happy if I can fill up for 105.9, which I tend to do every second day. Fortunately it's "only" the bike that needs filling up.
Reply to
Timo Geusch

I'm less than 20 miles from pete, and even Tesco is 105.9 for swampfuel. Super is 110.9, diesel is 115.9

Manchester is even worse, except a couple of shell stations that have premium for 103.9, don't know what their V-Power price is though. They don't put it on the boards.

Reply to
Elder

Probably, I know the bumpers will come out pink...

I like it, it's a very early one with the original early Jap spec stainless steel exhaust system on, so it sounds excellent.

I toy with buying it every couple of years.

Reply to
Pete M

Me

28.9MPG @ 53.9 / a litre.

YKIMS.

It's actually running a bit better now since I've started caning it a bit more. Because the ECU is self learning for the maps, you actually need to let it drive through all the poorly mapped zones a few times so it can take lambda reading and hone the map a little with every pass. It really is on the money now. I suspect the above mpg figure is a bit low now as it seems to be going a bit further on a tank full.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I paid 121.9p for diesel this week.

Reply to
SteveH

Seriously ?

I continue to be amazed that the price per litre is rocketing away from the pound level at ten times the speed that it crept up to a pound. The magic pound barrier is now broken and they really are piling on the grief.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

That's the next job on it. No worries about fitting it all, it's just the cost of the tanks and the multipoint setup.

I suspect I'll probably just replace it with a gassed up 4.2 LSE instead.

Reply to
Pete M

as opposed to a british made one?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

get this

Vamp

Heh. I've got a red G-plate one so that was an educated guess.

Why not? They're not bad on petrol either.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Haha.

MX5 Eunos Roadster

For some reason, the latter tend to be worth a little less, even though they have more toys.

Reply to
Timo Geusch