Back to using google groups

On a 1ghz P3 compact compaq until Tesco direct order me a new laptop. They couldn't do an exchange, on a refund and re-order.

So back to proper PC less until at least Tuesday night.

I'm beginning to hate technology and I think the Unabomber might have had something.

Reply to
carl.robson

You could use OE and a free newsgroup account from Motzarella? It's better than Google groups..

Google groups is shit, I use it when it's quite at work as we block nntp traffic. I can't work out why in some groups it puts my sig, and in others it doesn't.

Hope you get the laptop sorted sharpish!

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Can't you use one of the Motzarella alternative servers and ports to get around this?

Reply to
SteveH

I run an NNTP[1] server at home and connect to it using ipsec tunneling. Few clients block VPN and the packets are encrypted so they can't snoop on what I'm up to. Confuses the f*ck out of supposed IT hotshots like Bloater who can't think of it for themselves.

[1] Well OK it does a lot more than just run INN. And it's not "a" server since it's running a bare metal hypervisor and a set of server VMs for each appropriate job.
Reply to
Steve Firth

but Motzarella (I could use my paid for individual.net account) in OE, is going to be terribly laboured on a P3 with not a lot of ram, compared to one or two groups I will maybe post to in Opera.

Opera as a browser is much lighter than OE or IE.

Reply to
carl.robson

Eh?

It's usenet, so was designed to be used on something a f*ck load less powerful than a P3.

Reply to
SteveH

Indeed.

Microplanet Gravity is a lightweight usenet client.

Reply to
Conor

You'd think Carl would know that, given that's what he generally uses.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne