Banish all MX5s

I haven't driven the Sera for a while, since the RX8 is practical, fast and hasn't misbehaved - and Siani's 2CV is often parked in front of the Sera anyway.

But I keep seeing MX5s.

And seeing, cartoon style, the Sera become an MX5 - series 1 1.6 with a hardtop and a bootrack, in BRG, black or yellow.

I like the Sera, so the force is not yet strong, but I worry I'm going to see a deal on an MX5 and want it. And there I was thinking that the only way to go from the Sera was to fill the Jaguar-shaped hole in my driving history, with an XJS Cabrio. And not for a long time, either.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Surely you want one of the 1.8 Sport ones? With the LSD and other funkyness? Dunno about the early ones, but the one I looked at when I got the 206, was a 1.8 Sport with LSD and Bilsteins all round as standard :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Most I could realistically get for the Sera would be £2.5-£3K.

So, it would be an S1, and probably a 1.6 as I don't want an import (purely for insurance reasons).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Surely you can pick up 1.8s for that price?

We sold our MINT lwo mileage 1995 1.8iS for £3500 last year, and struggled to get that.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

For example:

1995 MAZDA MX-5 1.8i 2dr Convertible, 107,915 miles, British racing green. Original wheels plus alloys. Excellent condition. MOT valid until Nov 2006.Garaged. This is a private sale, not trade. MUST BE SEEN - A REAL BARGAIN. Epping. £2,100. No offers

1994 MAZDA MX-5 1.8i S 2dr Convertible,

112,000 miles, 1994 Lreg uk spec mx-5,British racing green, 1yr MOT, 6mon Tax. Service history, New roof, 17" alloys, New s/s exhaust, side skirts,Full electrics, PAS, C.D player. Loads of extra's Pleaes ring or e-mail for more info. May part ex WHY. £2,450. offers over

1994 MAZDA MX-5 1.8i S 2dr Convertible,

55,000 miles, Red. Full history, vgc, New MOT. CD, Alloys, good hood, recent new window. Owner posted abroad. Car cover included. Virtually unmarked. £2,750. ono
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

drove a MK2 MX5 at work, dunno what engine it had but only took it up the yard and it was the most fun i had in ages wish i got one now :(

wheel spin and easy to get the back out and control it love it hehe

Reply to
Vamp

I'm looking to get an MX5 at some stage in the next year or so... top car. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

yep, gotta be the most fun for the money. Don't need tons of power either - not the point..

problem is my car buying budget at the mo is 1500 quid, don't think i'll get much for that.....

Reply to
john

i'm half tempted to chop the BM in for a grands worth of primera with air con and spend the change on a nice MX5 myself doubt i'll do it though :(

Reply to
Vamp

That's actually one of the most sensible plans you've ever posted.

You should be able to get yourself an eGT with aircon and have plenty left over for a tidy MX-5.

If you find a tidy, early MX-5 you'd even be able to look at classic car policies meaning it will be dirt cheap to insure, too. (even if not on a classic policy, if you go with an insurer that will insure you on a 2nd car, it can get very cheap)

Reply to
SteveH

steve please refrain from using the words 'sensible plan' in my posts, kinda sends a shiver up me spine! next thing you know i'll be making posts knowing what i'm talking about, developing a good taste in cars and posting in perfect english and grammer! ok the last one is pushing it ;)

Reply to
Vamp

Vamp, there's a fine line between 'pushing it' and 'falling flat on your arse'.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I used to ride BMX and Mountain bikes. I have laughed at that line from both sides ;)

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

You'll lose an absolute fortune given what you signed up for when you bought that.

HTH

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Unless he gets it all back from the dealer - do try keep up at the back ;-)

More importantly, what do you think of Hornet 600s? And are they better than Bandit 600s? PeteM prefers the Bandit, but SteveH prefers the Hornet...

Reply to
DanTXD

Oh aye, I'm aware that this has been mentioned as something desired elsewhere in here recently... but 'chop the BM in' tends to suggest Vamp's looking to trade it in...

If you enroll at the local college now, you'll probably get enrolled for a course in English Language in time for this autumn...

Oh, and ';-)'

:-P

'None of the above'.

Get a Fazer 600 if you're in the market for something in the budget 600 class - the most entertaining bike I've had yet, and I've had plenty of other 600s / 750s, and even the odd Fireblade.

The Fazer is comfortable, handles well, has a nice power delivery and on twisties, is a brilliant scratcher.

That, and insurers seem to love them - they cost sod all to insure compared to my CBR600.

Not tried a Hornet though, so that may well be a good choice as well, but the Bandit is well outclassed by the Fazer - I bought a Fazer 600 over the Bandit 1200 I test rode the same week, the B12 was that s**te, so given how similar the 600 is to the 1200 in terms of chassis / physical dimensions, I can't see that being any better.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

SteveH also said the Bandit was s**te. PeteM seemed to think they rocked tho. The Fazer looks rather cool tho I must admit....

Much obliged.

Reply to
DanTXD

dimensions,

I dunno about the very latest ones (as they appear to have gained a few ccs), but the early ones had an antiquated lump coupled to a chassis that isn't keen on corners - they're weren't christened 'Bindats' for nothing.

Horses for courses, innit.

Never mind the looks - they have the same brakes as an R1, for one thing.

And apparently they have a reasonable tank range if you ride sensibly - something I never found out with mine, as it encouraged me to ride like a loon everywhere. :-D

No worries.

Another one to consider is the SV650 - they seem to get very good reviews, and their firm secondhand values indicate maybe they live up to them.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

steveh thinks i can be sensible! nuff said hehe

Reply to
Vamp

I find the power delivery sterile - OK, there's quite a bit of power in the B12, but it's just so flat in it's delivery. I can only imagine that the B6 is the same but with less power.

They're also built to a budget using an ancient lump that needs valve clearances doing every 3k miles and the chassis / forks are the cheapest s**te Suzuki couldl find kicking about the parts bin. The rot like f*ck and most have been crashed.

He also doesn't ride. He sometimes has a go on a bike, but he's not a biker, IYSWIM.

R1 brakes, which rock in a 'my brain is coming out through my eyeballs' sort of a way. Absolutely awesome brakes.

The engine is more or less a detuned R6 lump, AFAIK.

Not bad at all, I rode the Serf Ifrikan's SV a good few years ago in a back to back comparison with my TRX. The TRX engine pissed on it from a great height, but the SV was infinitely more comfortable and handled better (although that could have been due to the SV being several years and many thousands of miles younger).

Reply to
SteveH