Belt change interval on Honda B18 engines?

Does anybody happen to know what the cambelt change interval is on these? One car that's caught my eye is a late 90s Honda Civic VTI but I think the belt change might be well overdue as it was last changed 3 years/40k ago.

Of course I'd like to be corrected on this :)

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Assuming it's the same as anything they slung in Rovers, it'll be 24k... which is shit, and the one main thing that used to piss me off about those when I had them.

Reply to
JackH

Actually I had a word with my local mechanic and it's not quite that bad

- 60k for the pre-98 ones and 80k for the later ones.

Unfortunately this still means the cambelt change is due on the car I'm thinking of...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Well, unless you're tracking it on the bay of E, then use the above as a strong bargaining point - either they lower the price to reflect the need for a belt change, or they get it done as part of the deal.

Surprised at the interval times - makes me wonder why the Rover intervals were so low.

Reply to
JackH

It is the bay of E, and I'd rather take it as is and throw it at Trac-Art here in Ashford for a service and an assessment of the condition. They're pretty good at that.

Keep in mind this is a B18 engine, not a D16 one.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Yes, something with more power and which revs higher - can see why I'm questioning the logic? ;-)

The Rover 24k intervals applied to anything fitted with a Honda lump, including the 623iS I had.

Cracking car, that... one which I wish I'd hung on to really.

Reply to
JackH

Well, obviously I'm still too cheap as I got outbid by over a hundred quid.

Reply to
Timo Geusch