best car you've ever owned and not owned

Well, so far, best car has to be the current Volvo - not bored with it yet. Most fun was the XR4x4 for the criminally insane ways it could be driven.

Car to own? Either a B5 (alistwat styleee) or an M5... of the v10 variety.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp
[...]

If you can't see the leak it's almost certainly the crankcase breather...

At that rate you could treat it as total loss lube - good practice for a stroker Saab. ;)

Poly bushes tend to be loud and harsh and it is a race car.

...still frustrating to fix things w'out feeling the benefit.

:( They have a good rep too.

Are they the right ones?

Iffy brake components would put me off a car too. :(

Huge hassle for a small job I take it - it's been bugging you a while that.

Hehehe.... down the hatch!

Alistair J Murray
[...]

They're not much more expensive to run than the BMWs they're based on except for oil and tyres and if anything a little cheaper than the matching ///M.

Not cars to run on a shoestring though.

Alistair J Murray
[...]

Hubba hubba!

Alistair J Murray

I'm saving for a B5 already, and I'm not planning to change the B10 for several years...

Word seems to be that in all real world situations the B5 stomps all over the M5 to the extent that ALPINA are worried about upsetting BMW.

Alistair J Murray

Indeed - the Alpina would seem to be the more rounded car,similar power, smoother ride etc. But I want the M5 for the noise.

Maybe the thing to do is a his-n-hers, an M5 for me and a B5 for her....

... meanwhile back in the real world....

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well, I can see where it is going. Not enough to leave puddles, but it is all over the underside of the engine, down the back of the engine, and down the front of the engine.

Some of it appears to be arround the oil filter (filter is upside down). noticed it ages ago, and figured it was leaking, but felt tight. But the dipstick, with a basic and after 15 years poor seal is also there. Wonder if it is being pumped out of the dipstick tube?

From where the spread is, it could be the main crank seal, it could be the camshaft seals, it could be the dipstick, it could even be the turbo return hose, but that looks clean and intact on the partsyou can see.

Only thing I seem to be able to say for certain is, it isn't the rocker cover, and judging by the fact that the bottom of the gearbox is clean, and the clutch still works, it isn't the crank seal at that end.

Yep, off out to delamere forest for a hike arroundand picnic in a bit. Will be nice to drive out there chilled.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

that is the thing, so oil, and some manky oil fume breathing, but not=20 excessive.

Too right.

Yep. Time to flog it someone who wants a trackday car that can be driven=20 there.

That what surprised me. I had heard they didn't have the locking pin,=20 but not the other problems.

That is what I'm going to find out. It sounds like they are, they are=20 slightly longer, but not by enough to make me think they are wrong. The=20 actual physical screw and banjo fittings are the same.

Me too, but I can't be without a car until then.

Ideally, intercooler off, engine heatsheild off, alternator off=20 alternator bracket off, then hopefully you can remove and screw in the=20 the studs, and the gasket isn't totally kippered. otherwise, off with=20 the turbo, off with the it manifold hoping you don't break any more=20 studs, and replace the gasket at =A390 then put it all back together=20 again.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

From all you say - it could be an overpressured crankcase. That would be bad....

Do you feel much pressure through the filler cap if you take it off with the engine running ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'll go check. But I did an excellent job of cleaning the PCV out when I swapped the rocker gasket. And it does leave nice oily vapour crap on the inside of the intake tube before the turbo.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar
[...]

If the breather's blocked at all, it will be.

Alistair J Murray

The M5 does sound a bit tasty. :)

Like to hear a B5 for comparison tho'...

I'll be round to listen, put the kettle on.

Hers sounds different 'cos it's a Touring?

Alistair J Murray

Best owned, the 206 I suppose, although, i think i probably had more fun in the 405...

Would like to own? Thats a LONG list :)

Reply to
DanTXD

In news:71Nze.7105$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net, Rob decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Fastest car I ever owned was the Cosworth. Best handling car I ever owned was the Integrale 8v Most fun car I ever owned was a 160 bhp Mk2 RS2000 Most "brilliant at everything" was probably the 164 Q4 Most worrying at the limit is the 911, but that's the fun.

W124 500E Merc Merc E55 AMG Estate M5 Touring Lancia Thema Turbo Estate.

Reply to
Pete M

BASTARD.

Reply to
Conor

Motorway run out to Delamere Forest. Back roads from Northwich back home to Warrington on the way back.

Fantastic. Burned too much petrol, but had fun playing (with the speed limits, ish) with an Evo 8. Showed a little respect with the age of the car and didn't totally annihilate me' but had fun passing each other on short straights, until he turned off.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Hmm...I am yet to own an "interesting" car. So far I have had:

1) 1979 Renualt 5 1.1-litre 2) 1982 Nissan Sunny 1.5-litre coupe 3) 1987 VW Passat Estate 1.8 litre 4) 1997 Skoda Felicia Estate 1.3 litre

Of this rather poor list, the VW would be the best. Large, practical, economical and fast enough. Gearing was very long though. Could pull an indicated 90mph in 3rd gear, which for a car with a quoted top speed in the 105mph range and a 5 speed box, is a bit silly.

This could be a long list...

My first job was at a Fiat/Lancia/Maserati garage. Although I never got to drive an Integrale, I got enough time in a passenger seat to put this on my "want" list. I also had plenty of playtime in the Thema turbos, which were seriously underated cars, IMHO. This job also gave me serious respect for the Fiat Panda. As the junior driver, it was often my job to pilot the Panda - while attempting to follow the Integrale / Thema / Maserati etc.

Next stint of paid employment was at TVR in Blackpool. This was at the time of the TVR S (with the Cologne V6) and the 350i type models (with the Rover V8).

Other things I would love (in no particular order)

3.9V8 Rover SD1 Vitesse W124 Merc 300TE Alfa 75 3.0V6 Alfa GTV6 (the 80s one...) Citroen CX 2.5 GTi Turbo Vx Senator 3.0 24v

An eclectic bunch.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

We'll take three, don't bother to wrap them, We'll race them home.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

Sleeker GT Phwoar

At a guess a few hundred grand should buy one.

Reply to
Depresion

less, i think the rally spec quattro is less than 100k all in

Reply to
Theo