Best used small hatch?

Looking for a replacement small hatch for the missus Corsa/micra/clio/fiesta sort of thing, budget about £2k which one does the group recommend?

Reply to
Me

Nk II Golf GTI 8v.

About the same size as a modern Corsa/Fiesta, much nicer to drive, much better economy, won't lose as much money, very very reliable.

£2K will get one of the best 1991 models. Avoid models with a cat fitted and don't get a Mk III by mistake. As Sniffpetrol spoofed, if the Golf GTI is Elvis, the Mk III is "The Vegas Years".

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

None of the above. :-)

Get a Polo instead.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Me, see the archives. I took RichardK's advice and I don't regret it.

Reply to
Antony Gelberg

Micra. Bulletproof as long as the oil has been changed regularly. A quick look on Autotrader suggests that two grand should get you a

2001-ish one with sod all miles on - even more important to check that the service intervals have been followed as most of them will have spent most of their time pootling round town.
Reply to
Carl Bowman

Out of that little list, Clio. The two girls I live with both have them, as does my sister and they're great little cars and appear to be almost depreciation proof especially if you look at the 1998-2001 era. SWthinksMBO bought hers over 18 months ago and expect to get back most, if not all of what she paid (the garage she bought hers from listed an identical model recently for exactly what she originally paid). Mind you you're looking at more like =A33k than =A32k for a good one in that age range. It's important to get a good one because Clios are either fantastic and trouble free or terrible, unreliable moneypits. They tend to come out of the factory like that, regardless of how carefully looked after/neglected they are in everyday life.

I'd also recommend Yaris and Micra but girls, when given the choice, will go Clio rather than either of those.

As for the Fiesta, fine, good on long journeys and nippy round the bendy roads but don't buy anything other than the 1.25 Zetec engine variants. That is one engine that punches well above it's weight and yet remains reliable. The Fiestas of that vintage eat suspension components (such as bushes) though.

Reply to
fishman

Totally agree here. You can not go wrong with a Micra!

Reply to
Ed

MK2 Golf GTi with big bumpers. 16Vs will have PAS, which is nice, but only needed for parking, and 8vs will give cracking economy. IMO, don't buy modded ones unless they've been done very well (a couple of minor crap mods like wierd lights and speaker holes where they shouldn't be are a pain to sort, and usually mean the owner's pissed about with other stuff).

Reply to
Doki