Bloody hell

Saw a "Rolling road shootout" type thing in a Vauxhall comic the other day. A couple of people with stock engines getting a fair bit more than the engine's meant to produce (say 15 to 20 horses on a 130bhp engine), and lots of cars with backbox, filter, perhaps "stage 1" or "stage 2" tuning from various people, generally getting a fair bit less than their "predicted horsepower". All the people with stock motors were saying "Vauxhall clearly know their stuff, making engines this good".

Nobody seemed to think that the figures were more than a little optimistic...

Reply to
Doki

Surely not!

Well of course not! Heh!

I love these rolling road shootouts. They're useful for comparing cars tested on the same day, but that's probably about it, unless they've been properly calibrated.

Reply to
DervMan

Indeed. All the owners of cars with modded engines said "I'm disappointed that it didn't make Xbrake, but it's still well above stock" :P.

Reply to
Doki
95% of vauxhall tuning "products" do not do what they say on the tin, generally the guys owning the cars know little and just believe the "tuners".

If some people had invested in vauxhall tuning about 10 years ago ( like they did cossies ) it'd be a far more interesting market, as it is its full of bodge ups, lies and bullshit.

Reply to
Mark Craft

all the rolling road shootouts I've read about have been for fords and I can honestly say that the mods done DO provide the power that people say they've seen on the RR results but that's only because that's what everyone is expecting, a few brake here and there and no one with huge power figures from a filter and a fart box

having said that, Vauxhall DO make very good torquey engines that rev and rev they might not be so good at the top end but the bottom end makes them feel a lot quicker than they should

all this, coupled with over enthusiastic speedos (I saw a test once where the speedo readings indicated that the car was doing 0-100 about 3 seconds faster than it should have (and they were basically Vauxhall stock figures) and when it was fitted with a "proper" speedo, the reviewer said something along the lines of "bloody hell!!!, I never knew they were out by that much!!!!"

:)

Reply to
dojj

The stock engines were making more than they should have been. The modded ones were making a bit more than the stock ones. Nobody seemed to be taking into account that the dyno might be out :P.

Reply to
Doki

or that the speedos aren't calibrated properly :)

Reply to
dojj

Maybe. The benefit of having all of the machines there on the one day is that it's a comparison. Okay so the units may be out - but you can see which machine is producing more!

Reply to
DervMan