Bloody insurance

Due next month. Used confused.com Only insurer that would quote me was Admiral £1200 Tried Tesco £600+ Tried the AA £962 Tried Footman James £900+ Tried a fresh quote from L-V (if I keep the excesses the same) £370+ If I reduce them slightly £422 All quotes fully comp, 34 year old driver 2 years license (clean), 2 years NCB, 20 year old car, AA and Tesco have a minimum £1000 value for online quoting.

All quotes fully comp. Wonder what L-V will actually quote me for renewal?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I'm thinking that L-V might be best to stay with. I'll try elephant, and insure.co.uk, but I don't reckon they will save me any money.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Carl how much did you pay for your car, ?? I thought it was only cheap, if so look at 3rd party only, you will prob find the excess on your policy now outweighs the price of the car.

Not being a cheeky bastard or nothing :)

Ryan

I'm sure you said you only paid 500 quid or sumit??

Reply to
Ronny

Thats what i was thinkin

-- Chet

Chet

I bought it cheap, but the book private sale of one in condition 2 (legal, roadworthy, but needing cosmetic work) is about £1k minimum.

Plus what I've spent on it, and planning to keep it, and putting it through the next round of maintenance soon (susension bushes,and ball joints etc), I'm keeping it for a while.

L-V are actually about £200 cheaper than Elephant were for TPF&T.

I know if I need to get a windscreen replaced, it is about £200 for the Saab (side glass is dearer). With fully comp, it is £40 excess, and no loss of NCB.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Their 10 month policy was about £200 dearer than L-V's normal year policy.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I was with Churchill when I had my Favorit. Putting a stainless back box on was considered enough of a performance upgrade for them to invalidate the policy.

I'm waiting for Sureterm to get back to me, but so far, nobody has gotten with £200 of Liverpool-Victoria.

I've even gotten my home insurance through them now, because when it needed renewing, £250,000 buildings, and £150,000 contents is their standard blanket cover policy, and it was less than £200 combined. Everyone else wanted well over £300 for about 25% to 50% value covered on each.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

FWIW, I'm with LV (Frizzell) for the Carlton, and it was actually cheaper by about a hundred quid to go fully comp than TPFT once I'd raised the voluntary excess to the maximum possible. As it's only about £1k worth of car at best (or maybe up to £1500 with the right blagging techniques, maybe I'm dreaming though, heh!) I wouldn't ever bother claiming, but if it's cheaper it's cheaper and that's that. Don't know about third party only though. Windscreen cover was handy though - £40 for a brand new windscreen (needed it for the MOT), and they came to my house on a Sunday and did it.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Carl, do you have a missus/bird etc? Footman James quoted me £890 on a classic policy with just me to drive, £286 with me and the missus for my

900T8 You could try that.

Other option is Firebond -

Call for a quote, tell them you want a classic policy for your 900 and see what they can do. They did mine as an only car for £315 on a classic policy. You might hear stories about firebond, but both my mum and brother have claimed off them with no problems. Their customer service is a bit poor though.

HTH

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

In article , snipped-for-privacy@SwerveWeb.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Pretty much why I did it. The Favorit with the mods was cheaper Fully comp the TPFT, then transfered it to the Saab.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , stickit@up- uranus.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Cheers Mike will give that a looksee then.

Not a bad idea.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

"spawn" wrote in news:bkpd78$87f$ snipped-for-privacy@athena.ukc.ac.uk:

Apologies if this has been asked before but has anyone any experience of getting a car with nitrous oxide insured? If so, what was the before and after cost?

I've just been sorting out my insurance and asked, just for fun -or maybe research- what the (financial) effect of installing nitrous would be. I was told that they (broker) knew of no insurance companies that would insure cars with nitrous fitted. I'm sure this can't be right - unless everyone is painting the cylinders red and applying 'fire extinguisher' transfers. They also said that a disconnected system would not be acceptible. Ie if it was used for hillclimbs in private areas but disconnected for public roads.

Reply to
Darren Peters

same as bloody direct line! they were cheapest on cover for my MR2 at £830 (same as churchill) while i was getting it insured i asked about non standard alloys and maybe window tints and that added £300! hardly performance enhancing and they also said i have to have a cat1 or cat 2 alarm immob system otherwise i aint covered for theft which *cough* i just got done after 3-4 months hehe

i forgot to mention the TSW's i mean how am i ment to know what is and isn't standard alloys :-P

Reply to
vamp

I'll agree with that - at least 20% cheaper putting the wife on the policy, even is she'll never drive it!

Reply to
Phil Howard

for cars a bit special try zenith.

Reply to
Theo

Tried Firebonds online Classic quote option.

Best they could come up with was Norwich Union £1166.80 Churchill £1675.61

I must live in a really dodgy area or something. Compared to what the guys on Saabscene are seeing as quotes, mine are 2-

3 times that.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yikes, really? Maybe not then....

Reply to
Pete

Same for me - anyone know why? As you say, my wife never actually drives the thing.

Reply to
Pete

Unable to beat the Quote I got from LV. Hopefully their renewal will at least bear a passing resemblence to the new quote.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Sounds reasonable - do it. I pay about that for my TI - fully comp, and full protected no-claims, but I'm 25 with 6 points.

Even better - what's the problem ? Keep the excess as high as you can - you only have to pay it if you crash. The premium has to be payed no matter what.

Reply to
Nom