Bluetooth Car PC

Has anyone any ideas on how hard it would be to run a hands free phone system based around BT and a car pc? The way I see it, I might as well build a car pc as pay £100 for a hands free kit. Obviously, to stay within the law, my phone will be secured in a cradle, probably consisting of blue tac or chewing gum :P

Reply to
Doki

In article , snipped-for-privacy@SPAMMENOTspidar.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Well, you could always use your bluetooth phone in your bag/jacket pocket/rucksack/glovebox like I do when I use my Nokia HDW2 BT headset.

I'm looking at the BT phone approach though too. Using my 3650. A Sitecome BT 500 Dongle from Maplin, my touchscreen car pc if I ever get the screen working again, and this

MeatballTurbo

I'm not really fond of the idea of those things that stick in your ear. You have to walk / drive around looking a d*****ad :P. I'm tempted by the idea of setting up voice dialling, have the phone stuck somewhere on the dash etc. and sound coming through the speakers. Probably a waste of time for the amount of time I'm in the car and want to use the phone at the same time.

I'd probably have something running linux if I set it up, with a little backlit dot matrix screen and hard switches rather than a touchscreen system if I were to run MP3s too, but I'm not entirely sure if I could run sound through my Head unit, IIRC it has phone mute but no AUX inputs. I reckon noise cancelling would be the big pain in the arse with setting up a handsfree phone system.

Reply to
Doki

In article , snipped-for-privacy@SPAMMENOTspidar.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

WHhat headunit mate? I'll try to find out.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Pioneer DEH 3330R. I think it's a grey import. Could always do the FM modulator thing if I'm really stuck...

Reply to
Doki

Modulator= Nasty, tried it myself (although some are better than others, and it isn't always the expensive spendy ones that are best).

A lot of the US guys are ditching the headunit altogether, and adding amps for 4 way, and 5.1 sound. Using the touchscreen as a 1.5/2 din front end and going direct from the Motherboard line out(s) to the amps line inputs.

Makes for a very decent system if you build an amp rack style layout in the boot.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Hands-Free kit costs about £10. You simply need a speaker and mic for your phone - they're powered from the faglighter socket.

Reply to
Nom

I'm rather dubious about how well they work in a Ka that's doing 60 in third gear. The microphone is far too far away from my face :).

Reply to
Doki

Thats why I got the HDW2 ear piece. Saabs damned noisy but in a fun way.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Why would you be using the phone when pushing it? Surely you'd be concentrating on the road.

Reply to
James Grabowski

Nah, they work fine - a friend of mine has one. Used in conjunction with the voice-dialing on his phone, it's a fine (if unwieldy) solution.

But surely the best solution is to simply not use your phone in the car ?

Reply to
Nom

Most likely. I've rarely been in the car and thought "Must ring so and so", and I don't get so many calls that coincide with me driving that cancelling them is a problem. If I were driving up and down the motorway all day or something it'd be handy, but most of my car journeys which aren't for fun last about 15 minutes.

Reply to
Doki

Just because I'm doing 60 in third doesn't mean I'm pushing it, it just means I'm accelerating hard. I detest fuel economy ;).

Reply to
Doki

Yep, same here :)

Reply to