BMW 530i (E34) and Alfa 156 2.5 V6 24v

Fair point, I'm sure (given the sales volumes) there are thousands of "Nikasil" cars left on their original blocks whose engines are gradually outlasting everything else!

I wasn't aware that other volume manufacturers used Nikasil, although I do recall various BMW motorbikes using Nikasil linings (and therefore with the, ahem, potential for accelerated bore wear :)).

Reply to
Andrew Thomas

The only other one I'm aware of is Jaguar when they moved to V8s in the XJ series.

Reply to
Scott M

Yes - that's what I thought too. But just why it was ok on some engines and not others, I dunno. BMW originally didn't think it was the process - they altered several things before changing to Alusil. And the V-8s seemed to be more prone than the sixes.

I'm pretty certain my 528 is Nikasil. Not sure how to check, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Run it on high sulphur petrol for a while :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I've never had any dings on any of the cars I've owned.

Do you park in the middle of your local hockey field or something ?

Reply to
Nom

Most on here would say you're very lucky, then, I'd guess.

It gets used as an ordinary car, including going shopping etc. I take it you never go near a supermarket carpark?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Scott M (smorris_12@delete_this.yahoo.com) wrote: : Andrew Thomas wrote: : > I wasn't aware that other volume manufacturers used Nikasil,

: The only other one I'm aware of is Jaguar when they moved to V8s in the : XJ series.

Fairly sure my Puma has nikasil plated bores ... not sure if the other Ford/Yamaha engines (1.25, 1.4) do to.

Blair.

Reply to
B.G. Finlay IT Services

Yes, all the time.

You're either surrounded by clumsy folk, or your supermarket has *very* small bays :)

Reply to
Nom

I use several. And try and avoid the busy times, since I don't work 'standard' hours.

If you've managed to avoid getting any dings I'd say you're very lucky - most people do.

Notice you didn't say where you live. I'd guess it's not London.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Perhaps.

Nope - middle of nowhere in deepest North Yorkshire. The Supermarket is my preferred car park when I go to town :)

Reply to
Nom

Ahh. That's what must make the difference - and more careful other drivers. It could also be the carparks are less crowded - indeed it sounds so if you can use a town supermarket car park for anything. Try that round here and you'll get a fine or clamped.;-)

I went to B&Q in Wimbledon one Monday morning - a very quiet day for them. Parked well away from the entrance - the only car in that area. Came out to find a Rover 800 actually touching my rear bumper. Waited for the driver. An oldbloke with a mouthy wife. She said I wasn't properly parked in the bay - their car was diagonal across two. He said nothing. I never used to believe in euthanasia.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't park next to anything which looks as if it might have kids returning to it.

:o)

Reply to
Steve Walker