Bodykit Fitting

Just bought a new bodykit for my Corsa 1.4 SXI 16v 53! Consists of front bumper, rear bumper & side skirts! Also want the arches colour coded to go with car! Question is kinda new to this & was wondering if anyone knew a rough price & time it takes for a job like this??

Thanx in advance!

StuG1978

Reply to
Stuart Greig

SteveH

Better to have spent the money (plus your fitting/painting costs) on sorting the handling and horsepower out.

Reply to
Abo

A few tarty bits do not turn a front drive grocery getter into a "racing car" - rather it looks silly.

In answer to your question 50 quid done badly, 1000+ done correctly. The choice is yours. The car will be worth about a grand less once its done "properly".

Reply to
Burgerman

Depending on the quality of the parts, the type of paint and if the arches are dimpled £500-£1000 and 2-3 days or so.

Reply to
Depresion

Reply to
Stuart Greig

About a week...anywhere from =A3500 upwards.

And it'll still be slow and you'll look even more of a tit when someone=20 in a 20yr old bog standard Capri blows your doors off.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Reply to
Conor

Do you want to learn how to do some of it yourself, then pay for paint once you have fitted it? it will take longer, and will cost less+ you learn something. But you have to be prepared to pay someone to fix any fuckups.

Depends, do you want to say "I did that", or "I paid for someone else's idea of my modified car". Paint and body work isn't easy. But it is very fulfilling if you get it right.

Reply to
Elder

Looking at £500 plus really, ignore everyone else here, they're all old. VERY few Capris will worry you. Which kit is it as a matter of interest?

Reply to
DanTXD

Usually takes years, if at all, most Proud Owners of such cars simply attach the kit fairly loosely and leave it in the gelcoat or primer while they save up for the next 'mod'.

Reply to
Mark W

Not my experience judging by what I've shoved up Garrowby Hill.

--=20 Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.

Reply to
Conor

old but they have taste dan, well excluding steveh in that comment he thinks a alfa 75 looks good! weirdo! only kit worth having on any vauxhall is the factory imashshhehshshehshehs or however it's spelt/said! most after market kits look s**te IMO

Reply to
Vamp

What on earth did you go and do that for! For a girls car the Corsa SXI looks nice at it is. You will look a complete tit driving it because you will ruin a perfectly good car. No one will buy it once you have weighted it down with extra bits and it will cost you far more to insure. You will also be using more petrol and it will slow the car right down. If you don't tell the insurance company and you either have an accident or make any claim then you will be looking at prosecution. You would have been better saving the money and buying a decent car. After many years of seeing people do what you want to, I have come to the conclusion a car is best left as it left the factory. A company will fit it for you, but you will need additional work and a respray, also new wheels and tyres and a lowering kit so it doesn't look completely stupid. Say around £1500 for a respray and body work, then £1000 for tyres and wheels, maybe £1200 for new srpings and shock absorbers. Don't forget around £600 for a new exhaust as the old one will look like a pea shooter. Say around £4500 after you have bought other bits and pieces. The car is only worth that much, so it's not worth it.

Reply to
malc

Don't you know how to use a phonebook or Internet Directory and contact people? You would have an answer if you made the effort.

Reply to
malc

About a week...anywhere from £500 upwards.

And it'll still be slow and you'll look even more of a tit when someone in a 20yr old bog standard Capri blows your doors off.

Reply to
malc

I think you have wandered into the wrong group, this is uk.rec.cars.modifications, uk.rec.grumpy.old.men id over there>>> you do with your car what you want to and let Stuart do what he wants to with his.

Reply to
Depresion

Not my experience judging by what I've shoved up Garrowby Hill.

-=-=-=-

Driving fast is mostly missing the point of a cosmetically modified car.

Reply to
DervMan

As others have said... ignore the old farts condemning your decision with derision / get a better car / pick your nose / whatever.

Bodykits and Corsas are not my bag but some general pointers will be useful.

First off, make sure the kit properly fits. Some cheap kits are made to approximate the car's shape :) and that means they're a swine to get to fit properly. That costs you more. If an item is bodged in place it may drop off at some point, which not only looks silly, or may get damaged will cost you more.

If your kit was a budget special and doesn't fit properly I utterly thoroughly recommend you either sell it on or take it back, they're more aggravation than they're worth.

If you're going to do no work yourself, make sure you find a paint shop able to prepare the item and paint it as a perfect match to the car. Some kits require all sorts of funkiness done before painting, check this carefully. Word of mouth and reputations count for a lot.

Reply to
DervMan

good tips there shame the guy bought the kit as a bodyshop could have probably provided one and ones bodyshops supply are normally the best fit

Reply to
Vamp

I dont understand the point of "bodykits". They just look like you wanted a better car and couldnt afford one so tried to tart up a basic model. The fit is only part of the problem. The usual crappy shapes and slabbyness just make them look silly. And they are normally ripply fiberglass, and look well - cheap!

All you end up doing is making a "custom" car (someone elses idea of "custom") that looks like a messed about with baseic model. And to do it to what is a girls shopping trolly just looks even more sad.

Still horses for corses and all that...

Reply to
Burgerman