Boost gauge with a KKK turbo

Ok, bit of help needed here. Any idea how to fit a boost gauge if your turbo has an integral actuator?

Reply to
Abo

Is this on your Zaf?

Reply to
Iridium

If all else fails, I would imagine that you could drill/tap the inlet manifold and put a connector on there[1]. Is the ECU boost sensor mounted on the manifold? If not then there is presumably a remote pressure sensor somewhere, possibly fed with a nice bit'o'pipe you can tap into?

'o course, I don't know anything about zafs, so best plan is to ignore everything I just wrote.. :-D

[1] somehow contriving to get the bits of swarf out *before* starting engine[2] [2] Doh!
Reply to
Albert T Cone

If it is on the Zaf, I have a photo showing where to plumb it in on the Z20LET engine, and I've been part of doing it 3 times :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Unfortunately it's on the 306! I was going to have a mess about turning the boost and fuelling up because it's all mechanical, but I could do with knowing what boost it's running now before I start turning any allen keys...

Although that photo might come in handy if I start on the Zaf, so if you've got a scan of that photo, could I have a copy? :)

Reply to
Abo

Typically I can't find it now heh. I'll take one later. Its just at the back left of engine bay. Pipe that goes into the FPR, not the pipe that comes from the standard recirc valve.

Reply to
Iridium

IIRC, there is a feed on the XUDT engines from the turbo to the fuel pump to compensate fueling with boost - it's just a rubber/plastic pipe, which you can tee into. I know this is the case on the Lucas pumps, 'cos my 205 DT has a gauge fitted in exactly that manner, but I think it's similar on the Bosch pump normally fitted on the XU9DT..

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Whats the problem here?

Any turbo car, whether it has a xyz or a zyx turbo will be pressurising the whole post-turbo inlet tract; therefore plumb the gauge into any point post turbo.[1]

[1]as close to the inlet valves as possible is best, as you will be surprised just how restrictive some intercoolers are...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I've got a Lucas pump too. It sounds like the boost fuelling compensator but IIRC the feed comes from the intercooler. But since the intercooler is under boost pressure then I guess that would work fine. Hmm, I'll have a look at that one, cheers!

Reply to
Abo

Duh I don't know why I didn't think of that, of course the whole thing is pressurised... I've never fiddled with a turbo car before, just NA, so I thought there might be some optimum place to T it off, and a (admittedly quick) google suggested between the turbo and the actuator.

Reply to
Abo

I run all my boost gauges from the manifold.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Hot damn - how many boost gauges does your car have?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

437. But I reckon I have a little bit more space on the dash.....

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I'd be more worried about space on the manifold!

Reply to
Douglas Payne