Bored and wondering if....

...anyone here is going to the Network Q? I'm going up to marshal (which means i HAVE to drive at least part of the stage in my car - damn ;)). Anyone else going? If so stop to say hello if you see my car (i'll be about somewhere wearing a stylish orange vest).

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Oh yeah, i'll be doing Crychan 1/2 on saturday and Rhondda 1/2 on sunday

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

What silly price are they charging this year. I didn't have a spare £200 last year for the various bits I wanted to see.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Thats why i'm marshalling :) A half decent pass is around £75 i think

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

So they sell the passes, then cancel the stage because too many people are there. Like happened last year.

Think I'll just stick to channel 4, plus any amatuer footage that ends up on the web.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Probably :) In the scheme of things its actually much more economical to go to a National rally (like a Pirelli Championship round). You get the quick 4wd stuff (even a few WRC cars), you get the quick FWD stuff (including the mental 206 Cup cars), and best of all you get the old RWD stuff and group B stuff that wont be out in Cardiff, oh and Andy Burtons Peugeot Cosworth! And it cost much much less, and its easier to get close to the action. In fact, why the hell am i going to Cardiff? :)

But seriously, if anyone does wanna get in for free, you need to be a registered MSA marshal, and our club is doing a training evening this thursday at Southampton Uni if anyone from down south wants to come along.

I'll try my best to get some :) Will be some photos at the very least!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

You aren't a 30 something like me by anychance?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I agree - totally. That's about where I'm coming from with rallying as well. Until it at least makes a token border crossing into Scotland again then I won't be playing. And frankly it's a shame that we will probably never again hear the cliched but totally brilliant rallying phrase 'grizzly grizedale'.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I loves watching Out of Control onmen and Motors, I does.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Find yourself an old rear wheel drive Datsun, or an Opel Ascona/RWD Cav.

Let the slding commence. Much cheaper and you get 2 litres, as well.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

MeatballTurbo waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Starlet 2.0 is the way to go sideways, or maybe an Alfa V6 24v powered Sunbeam like wot we used to mess about with.

Reply to
Pete M

In time i will have, but i'm going for the daddy - Capri V6 (or maybe an SD1). None of this 4-pot nonsense ;) Need some no claims and money first though! At the moment the 205 is a damn fine car for both rallying and using as a daily driver. Next year it might get turned into an event only car, and i may have a little play with the engine and suspension :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

MeatballTurbo waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

How did you guess?

Reply to
Pete M

Carl Gibbs waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Been there, done that... 3.0 Capri is *much* more sideways than a 2.8i.

2.8i's almost handle. No fun at all. As for SD1s, last proper hooligan motor they were. although my old one B880 MLV (R.I.P), I spent so long playing with the suspension, in the end it'd only divert from neutral at 90+ in the rain. No fun at all.
Reply to
Pete M

snip

Me too, but I wish they'd show some footage of /reeeeeeaally/ sideways action, without a crash at the end. Personally I'd find that more entertaining, but I suppose the crashes are what their public want :-(

Reply to
Jamesy

You see last weeks Autocar ? They had the review of that Sideways Challenge I went to the other week. They've got some basic video footage on the website as well

Top day out for a tenner, will definetely be going again next year.

Oh, whilst we're on the subject - that RWD Rover 75 I posted about at the time was the ZT 260 model. I reckon depreciation should put it affordable (i.e. 620ti levels) in a couple of years (yay) :)

Reply to
Lordy

w00t - I'll get one too then :D

Reply to
Nom

I did, yeah. Aren't Autocar the organisers or something? I'm sure I remember them covering it last year, too.

Downloads or streaming? (don't tell me to go and check. I'm inherently lazy ;-))

Doubt it. I reckon the novelty of a powerful, RWD saloon (that isn't a Beemer) will keep depreciation at bay somewhat. It's also been marketed (and priced) aggresively from the off, so I'd imagine public knowledge is gonna be higher than with the super-hush-hush Ti ;-)

Reply to
Jamesy

A mate's got a 3.0 Special (or 2.8, i forget!), which i would love to buy off him and fix up. it also has chrome 'deep dish' wheels. So cool! Although i would prefer an SD1 TBH, completely standard that i could have a bit of fun in and possibly do the odd road rally in (just to get some nice sideways pictures ;))

One day...

------- Carl

------- Peugeot 205 XS Road rally pics:

Carl Gibbs

Jamesy waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Now, Mr Crashageninagin, have you had the official Finnish government Driving Labotomy?

Good, now change your name to Kimi, Tommi, Mika or similar and get out there. I don't want to see your car go straight ever again.

Reply to
Pete M