bought meself a cossie :)

Granada one admittedly, but holy f*ck is it quick once it's rolling the BMW didn't stand a chance :)

Reply to
dojj

316i?

Justin.

Reply to
Justin Cole

330 estate

Reply to
dojj

Oooh, I could crush a grape!

Justin.

Reply to
Justin Cole

bet the 330 estate out lives it though :)

Reply to
Vamp

13 year old car that's got 161k on the clock outdragging a nice new Beemer with a 3.0 in it? you just had to be there :) M1 40 mph limit cruising along bmw driver decides that the average speed cameras don't apply to it but slows down at the last one anyway I wait for the nsl signage then boot it bmw is doing around 60 left for dust as I see 90 then press resume on the cruise to drop it down to 70 again on the way home :) 140 miles on 17 litres of fuel ain't too bad either considering :)
Reply to
dojj

I'd suggest one of 2 things were going on here.

It's either the BMW driver decided it wasn't worth trying to prove anything against a s**te old Ford, or, in typical s**te old Ford style, there's more rust than metal, meaning it's now at least 50% lighter than when it left the factory.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah, age related performance increases, something italian car enthusiasts know all about.

They try delude themselves that it is the engine bedding in and loosening up, but really we know it is power to weight improvement.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I'd suggest one of three things.

The Ford is actually quicker due to having torque at low revs and an auto box The BMW driver was the usual type "I've got a drivers car, but I only use it in straight lines" Some Fords are better than some BMWs. (This is my opinion)

Reply to
Pete M

Yup the old Granny (pre face-lift) is certainly good value for money - especially the Scorpio model with all the bits. In my opinion the 2.9i 16 value has better acceleration than the Cossie 24V. The acceleration of the

2.9i tends to be linear while the speed of the Cossie tends to kick in at around 3000 rpm.

I must admit that few cars left me for dead when I owned a D reg 2.9i. Such cars were usually performance jobs, including the odd Jag and Porsche. I do remember leaving quite a few Beamers in my wake :)

Unfortunately they do tend to suffer from wheel arch rot and rust on the sills. When things go wrong with the 24V engine be prepared to give your mechanic direct access to your bank account :)

The 170 mph Speedo of the Cossie is really cool though of course I doubt it would go above 150 in practice - not that I've tried - I hasten to add!

Reply to
Trust No One®

= 230bhp(ish)

Grandad = 204ish

I take it you caught him napping by which time it was too late ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'm guessing you're on about the 12 valve one? Funny, 'cos I've heard those engines are gutless and slow.

I think dojj'll be ok there, as he knows about these things.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Don't be silly. The BMW wasn't trying. Just look up the performance figures.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They're a pushrod engine so can't rev above about 6000 rpm, but then the Cosworth won't either.

What you really get with the 12v is bags and bags of torque, from low down all the way up. Makes for relaxed driving, but doesn't make for rocket accelerations.

The 24v is the one that goes fast, no error there.

OTOH, the OP might have been referring to the 2.3 16 valve straight four engine, which is also quick but not so much so as the 24v, but makes up for this by using a lot less fuel.

The weak point is the timing chain, there is some good preventative maintenance on the guides and tensioners that is worth doing if you don't have to pay Ford to do it. Think of this as like replacing a cam belt on lesser engines. :)

Reply to
Questions

In news:4Gkbf.5489$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net, AstraVanMan decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

They are gutless and slow.

Reply to
Pete M

I didnt find they had much low down torque either TBH. Not in terms of torque per tonne anyway. In situations where I used 2nd in the MR2 (and even the swift) I was using 1st in the sierra* because it just complained in

2nd. I was quite disappointed in it. Was OK once it got going though and the weight was moving!
  • This had the 2.8i 12v, but cant see it being that much different to the
2.9i 12v
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Its clear the beemer wasn't trying. Or just didn't change down, and put his foot down, and still kept up with the flat out Ford till it got to 90.

Reply to
DanTXD

False badging...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Or that.

Reply to
DanTXD

There's an estate version of one of these for sale in Leeds - £995 for a Scorpio Cosworth estate. Full leather, everything. Somehow it's not selling - I wonder why?

David

Reply to
David Lane