Britain's fastest road legal car

Caught the last 3 minutes of this on Bravo last night. Don't know if it's due to be repeated.

0-60 was their measure of choice.

10th was a Skyline - 4.15s.

3rd was a twin-engined Golf. 2nd was a 60s Corvette.

1st was a replica short wheelbase Audi Quattro Sport - 3.07s.

Reply to
Grant Mason

Seen this before.

Bit of a farce really. It was meant to be held on a circuit somewhere, that fell through and they had to run it on some back road in an industrial estate or something like that, wherever it was it was narrow with ditches either side and not very flat, had a fair bit of camber too. The swb quattro is owned by the chap who owns dialynx, he got a bit pissy because the drag cars were using "nitrox" ( sic ) The drag cars that were there werent allowed to do burnouts to warm the tyres up, you may of witnessed the red victor get very loose at about half track, he was shifting to second.. nowhere near enough grip on that road. needless to say the performance on the day was not indicative of the performance of any of those street legal drag cars, they were just too powerful to get the power down, even the corvette driver had to be gentle. Those cars take part in a racing series ( Customer Car Street Eliminator ) where they run on road tyres and pump fuel. The idea is that they race, then do a 30 mile cruise, stop, take on £8 of fuel at a petrol station, do a hot start and return to the strip for more racing. The fastest car is steve patemans calibra, running a 706ci ( thats 11.5 litre ) pontiac engine, last season he ran 8.16 terminal speed for somewhere around 180mph. No nitrous, no blower. Theres a nice '56 chevy (Team Powerpour) which is also in the very low 8s. We expect them to be down into the 7s this year, still on street tyres. Hopefully the aston martin will be back this year. look for john sleaths site or

or do a search for CCSE, should should find some decent pics.

Funniest bit of it all is the dick with the totally stock honda S2000 who thought he was in with a chance.. until he turned up that is...

Quattro is a serious bit of kit but is no more suited to the road than the drag cars

Reply to
Mark

No Se7en's there then ??? a standard r500 is quoted at 3.4s and what about tiger's twin bike engine car(the Z100WR).

Quote from tigers site

"In November 2001, the Z100WR posted a 0 to 60 mph time of 2.8 seconds and a 0 to 100 mph time of 6.3 seconds using road legal tyres."

Reply to
Glenn

I'm sure it /is/ a repeat - were they all complaining about the strip surface, and it was a bit wet or something like that?

Sure I saw it some time last year!

Reply to
Jamesy

As Mark said, it didn't appear to be the most scientifically rigorous programme - the test track looked very much like a back street industrial estate.

Reply to
Grant Mason

They obviously forgot to invite "my mate" Bernie. He used to have a ferrari

308 engined CAE Corse stratos replica and the old Mick Hill BMW M1 - big block chevy on methanol in a Lola chassis. Now he has both of the cars on this page.
Bernie was a close acquaintance of mine about 10 years ago, but withtoys like that, he's got to be your mate forever - I think I'll call him up,see how he's doing..
Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

PAH ! , I laff at your puny motorbike engines :D

wont be long now chaps, expect the new project finished around late may, and this time I show all you doubters :P

Reply to
Glenn

i love swb quattro's :)

Reply to
Theo

I still wanna see the opel!

-- Chet

Chet

well im in the middle of a change of lifestyle, and if things go to plan you will be seeing a lot more of my cars. but we'll see :D

Reply to
Glenn

Well just so you know, my reply address is valid ;)

-- Chet

Chet