Buying a new car.

This place has loads...

I need a new car - a van actually because well I just do!

I am in the process of buying something called a Braun Entervan...

So I can drive in comfort from a powerchair.

Its basically a Chrysler Grand Voyager with all the toys. And it has the floor removed and a custom one fitted that has a 10 inch drop! That means its flat inside and has an electric shallow angle ramp etc. That allows me to drive from wheelchair. It involves a lot of engineering welding and new rerouted exhausts, new fuel tank, rerouting all the pipework and wiring and re rustproofing. Not cheap!

Heres the interesting thing.

Price in UK around 52k POUNDS for a less than loaded vehicle with long wait. Price in US around the same but in DOLLARS! Buy now...

Now add to that the fact that the US does not charge me their purchase tax and I get another 5200 off... Add costs, Shipping $1,600 approx port charges $150 ish, SVA test $150 light conversion $800

No VAT to pay because I am buying it as an adapted device for disabled use. No duty to pay.

I finish up with the same vehicle but better specked (leather, more toys etc and a 6 cylinder 3.8 litre motor/auto DVD sat nav, leccy everything including both sliding doors and seats, tailgate) for just over half the price. But its left hand drive. Who cares. Its ordered...

Reply to
Burgerman

In particular it will be a new version of this with 3.8 litre motor 20 inch wheels and the suspension dropped.

Reply to
Burgerman

pimped!!!

we had a dodge when we went to florida which was pretty much a voyager with a different badge. that had the V6 sounded nice and felt pretty torquey. got our tribe about. i'd of prefered a mustang though :)

Reply to
Vamp

So would I but I cant get in one.

What I was getting at is this...

WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY A UK CAR!!!

Even a Golf goes for just over half price and they have to import that from Germany!

Reply to
Burgerman

Because shipping and import duty and VAT tend to add up to quite a lot.

Do you understand the concept of exchange rates?

Reply to
SteveH

UK VW site Basic golf 12 grand in pounds.

US VW site less basic golf 15k dollars. Thats 7.6 thousand pounds. Less their purchase tax. say £6700

Allow a grand for delivery to liverpool docks and 17.5 vat and a personal import is duty free + other formalities. You get the same or better car for just over half the cost...

Reply to
Burgerman

In LHD with a resale value of 1/10th of fuckall though.

Reply to
Iridium

Bad form, but I've just realised that Golfs for the US market are probably made by Mexian peasants.

Reply to
SteveH

So, probably better build quality, Materials and Job pride than the Polish Fiat plant then?

Reply to
Elder

It makes no odd to me cos by the time I sell em they are buggered anyway...

Reply to
Burgerman

Err no. Thets why I just ordered a 52 grand vehicle for 27,

Why dont you explain it to me?

Reply to
Burgerman

Purchase tax is on top of that, not removed like you say - read the small print.

Interesting that the basic rabbit is an inline 5 2.5 150hp. I bet the TDI ones are most popular over here.

37.5mpukg extra-urban, 27.5mpukg urban - somewhat thirsty for the majority of the golf market.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

So? You still get a almost half price car? Here you would be looking at a very used one for the same outlay.

Well they may think thier fuels expensive but ours really is!

Reply to
Burgerman

"Burgerman" wrote in news:aPDhh.5285$1W1.4559 @newsfe4-win.ntli.net:

Yebbut, will that tank tread chair fit? :-)

Reply to
Tunku

iT only fits in the drive with a struggle!

Reply to
Burgerman

Been there, done that... except it was cheap. ;-)

Bought a last of the boxy shape Voyagers with a similar conversion a while back - no-one wanted to touch the air suspension which was playing up, so I ended up teaching myself and sorted it all without too much aggro.

Was an alright drive, but bloody juicy - that particular one had the

3.0 litre Mitsi running gear which apparently have a gearbox you should consider as a consummable when buying one.

The door that slide back followed by a ramp that folded out and a back end that dropped to right down all off a switch looked quite cool, really.

Made decent money it did, too.

Reply to
jackhackettuk

Good to hear - I just ordered it as you know. With 3.8 petrol V6 and 215hp. Tons of toys/trim/black and 18 x 9.5J Wheels also on order. (255 / 50 / 18 rubber)

Hopefully the box wont be a problem nowadays! Its got a 3 year warranty anyway.

Reply to
Burgerman

Is the warranty valid in this country?

Also, 3.8 V6 and 215 bhp? Isn't that a bit... lame?

Reply to
Iridium

I'm sure burgerman will have it on the giggle gas and turboed about 10 minutes after it arrives.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

No! I will fit the wheels first!