Calling TI owners (strange problems)

A couple of things:

I noticed the coolant level was a bit low so I topped it up. The next time I was stuck in a traffic jam, steam could be clearly be seen coming from the gap between the bonnet and the offside wing. This happened a few times and then stopped. When I next checked the coolant, it was low again. When I topped it up, I had the steam occuring again. The cooland is never that low, it only takes a very small amount, maybe a pint, to bring it back between the Min and Max markers. The dashboard never indicates an overheat or even a slight raise in water temperature.

Also, and I notice this whether there's steam or not I get a funny smell entering the car and I can smell it on the outside as well. The last time I experienced a smell like this was when the oil feed pipe to the turbo on my Dedra sprung a leak and was slowly dripping oil onto the hot turbo. I can't see any obvious oil leaks on the engine block, near the manifold or the turbo, just the usual pissy PAS fluid which is nowhere near the engine really. A rock has recently gone through the grille and damaged the aircon radiator and there's now a sheen of aircon oil over that but I can't imagine that this would really cause the smell?

Reply to
fishman

It might make the smell. But, are rovers prone to leaking heater Matrix or heater control valves? Any of the carpets damp or any of the sound deadening wet under the dash?

Just that I'm know a few cars where the "Odd smells" could be be traced to a split heater matrix, leaky valve.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

I should've mentioned that I can only smell it when I'm stationary in the car or when I get out after driving it for a while.

Reply to
fishman

Headgasket?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Why would I be getting steam and a smell?

There's also some kind of squeaking sound coming from one of the pulleys I think. Waterpump dying?

Reply to
fishman

If the gasket was leaking on the block side instead of the piston side? Most likely a buggered hose though.

Could be. But then you would be running hot.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

THat's the lovely aroma of antifreeze.

Reply to
Conor

The smell is the antifreeze.

The steam can be caused by the seal on the expansion tank cap not sealing. The system needs to be pressurised to raise the boiling point of the coolant. When the seal goes, the system doesn't get pressurised, the boiling point is lower so you get the steam and water loss. The temp guage wouldn't read anything abnormal because the red section is usually around 130-140C and the boiling point of water is 100C.

Reply to
Conor

You might be right actually. A leaky/weak pressure cap is a much cheaper check to replace than a heater matrix.

Good thiking Conor.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Congratulations Conor, your first informative post! I now remember telling a friend about it in the pub, who suggested I replace the expansion tank cap. Unfortunately, we were in a pub so I subsequently forgot thanks to the range of products on sale in said pub.

Reply to
fishman

I own a Capri...weak/split seals on rad caps causes all kinds of overheating issues that look at first to be like a blown headgasket and it's a common problem with them. £2.50 for a new cap usually sees it fixed.

Reply to
Conor

It's the exception that proves the rule. The rest of the years posts will now be complete twaddle.

:-)

Reply to
Conor

No overheating, but my estelle used to bubble coolant past a weak spring=20 in the pressure cap.

Changed the cap, stopped the coolant loss. =A36 result. Nice.

--=20 Carl Robson Car PC Build starts again.

Homepage:

NeedforSwede2

Because the pressure builds up and blows the release valve on the cap? If it's the head gasket you'd probably be able to smell petrol in the header tank, or see beads of oil on the top of the water in there.

Mine occassionally requires topping up with water - half a litre every month or thereabouts. No idea where it goes.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Fishman, I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Check the rubber hose pipe that comes off the water pump housing and connects to another rubber pipe. My pipe was that close to the fans that it had worn it through. If you can't see a hole in it, physically check it with your hands. They're only 7 quid from a rover dealer. The pipe is only about 6/7 inches long with a bend in it.

Reply to
Phattitude

The challenge being then, to find a Rover dealer... ;-)

Reply to
DanTXD