Car Darts

opportunity.

If I'm doing more than 40mph, I'm in 6th. I love driving on the torque wherever possible.

( Please excuse the slightly gratuitous " my gears go one louder than yours " post ).

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

In article , snipped-for-privacy@quickwatchsales.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Jezza actually found that cruise cost him fuel economy.

He was actually able to be more careful with his own foot than the cruise control.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

My cars all seem amazingly thirsty when I've got control of the pedal.

Reply to
Questions

You ought to be careful, it's not always the case that higher gear = less fuel.

Reply to
scott

Cruise is fine, the problem Jezza will have been having will be the fact that other traffic varies in speed and cruise cannot predict the change - best plan I would have thought would be to stick cruise at 50 mph and stay in lane 1 but I think he was driving slower than that to get the MPG up.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Hmmm, is this on a petrol or diesel?

Many years ago BMW did a series of tests to find the most economical way to get up to a cruising speed, they varied from light throttle shifting = early to thrashing it and all combinations in between. Light throttle shifting = early was the worse (ie used most fuel), plent of throttle using decent revs = the best, thrashing it was only slighty worse.

This was a petrol car which of course tend to be more effecient at large = throttle openings.

Diesels will be different no doubt due to the lack of throttle.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Laidlaw

Hmmm, is this on a petrol or diesel?

Many years ago BMW did a series of tests to find the most economical way to get up to a cruising speed, they varied from light throttle shifting early to thrashing it and all combinations in between. Light throttle shifting early was the worse (ie used most fuel), plent of throttle using decent revs the best, thrashing it was only slighty worse.

This was a petrol car which of course tend to be more effecient at large throttle openings.

Diesels will be different no doubt due to the lack of throttle.

Paul

Well yes, exactly. Volkswagen PD130 engine, Bear in mind when I say short shift, I mean 2000rpm. That's ok though because I haven't missed out on any torque because it's already happened by 2000rpm. P.S. - I don't 'always' drive like that. God forbid........

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Well said that man :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Fair enough agreed - though most of my miles are for work purposes for which I am reimbursed 7.846p per mile. S'pose that's why I drive like a nun at work :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Thats terrible! Is that the going rate for businesses? I get 25p/mile i think, and another 2p/mile per passenger. Makes a nice little profit on fuel, but generally cuts even when you take into account maintenance, insurance, tax, etc etc

Max

Reply to
Max Hamlet

Max Hamlet raved thus:

::: Fair enough agreed - though most of my miles are for work purposes ::: for which I am reimbursed 7.846p per mile. S'pose that's why I ::: drive like a nun at work :-) ::: ::: :: :: Thats terrible! Is that the going rate for businesses? I get :: 25p/mile i think, and another 2p/mile per passenger. Makes a nice :: little profit on fuel, but generally cuts even when you take into :: account maintenance, insurance, tax, etc etc

There are EU rules (or maybe guidelines...) on what you should get reimbursed. I'll see if I can dig them out. They're on my employer's intranet, so I'll check next time I'm in the office.

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Well I used 4th + overdrive today, shame more cars don't have overdrive I like being able to change gear with the flick of a switch.

Reply to
Depresion

Eh ? The going rate is 36p (ish) per mile ! They have to take into account the costs of servicing, maintenance, etc. etc. too - not just the raw fuel. In any case, my car wouldn't even NEARLY cover a mile for 8p !

Reply to
Nom

No, the going-rate is somewhere around the 35p mark.

IIRC, they're calculated using the running costs of a brand new Ford Focus ? (ie, cost per mile over a 1-year, 10,000 mile period or something ?)

Reply to
Nom

Er... Can you not claim back the tax difference between the amount you get and the amount the IR allow you to have claimed back? AFAIK that basically means you end up with the more usual amounts BICEBW

Reply to
Questions

don't you find it a bit clunky if you just flick the switch ? I much preferred to ease the clutch in when engaging or disengaging overdrive. It seemed to take a lot of the shunt out of the drivetrain.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

To be fair, they 'are' paying the vast majority of the leasing costs as well which I believe is around 400 quid a month or so. So I don't have to service it, repair it, fit tyres or worry about depreciation. The only things I have to concern myself about are 58 quid a month to contribute to the lease and getting the most out of my 7.846p/mile at work.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Ahh, but that takes into account YOUR car does it not.

At my old work at least, if it was your personal car, it was 38p. If you had a company car it was 10p, just enough to cover petrol! As obviously, they are giving you the car (or car allowance etc) so they aren't going to reimburse you for wear and tear.

Andy R

Reply to
Andy

I get 40p/mile + 5p/mile for passengers for the first 10k miles then it drops to 25p or so I think (dunno, never get to that amount!) James

Reply to
James

Yeah, that's about what it is here too.

Ah righty. I assumed he was referring to his personal car :)

Reply to
Nom