Car sounds

My girlfriend think i'm weird because some engine sounds make me go all tingly (thats sounds a bit gay, cue comments about MR2 drivers...). Am i just weird or do some engines do the same for other people? If so which ones? A few of mine would have to be: Andy Burtons 306, my mates Muddler (off road Rover V8 thing), my car when i'm going along with the windows open, Merc SLR and a well sorted mk2 Escort at full chat. Loads more but thats a few of my favs.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Almost any V12.

Reply to
Depresion

i loved the noise my/your MK1 MR2 makes :)

also love the noise of my MR2 turbo on tickover, love the noise of MR2 turbo's with nur spec's also love the sound of honda vtec's and tuned supra's

a surprising one to most though is i love the sound of my dad's volvo S60 D5 :)

i'm also a bit nerdy in a way i can tell the car sound on top gear was a ferrari, can also tell the sound of a porsche too quite easily. oh and mitsi FTO Mivecs sound the nuts too and are very distinctive

Reply to
Vamp

Any decent high revving six or eight. Twelves should be silent (jaguar / mercedes / BMW style).

Best sound? Ferrari V8 (F355 / F360, not heard an F430 yet but I bet its nice) flat out.

Always fun to hear a subaru full on too, the only interesting sounding four!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yeah, a guy i worked with sold his RX7 to get an FTO. Nice sound. Typically Japanese - kinda rumbling and reasonating and a bit raspy. Similar to the MR2 :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Twelves should sing on carbs (old Ferrari style). That said the modern v12 in the Murchi.. Murci.. Mur... Lamborg.. er, Lambos has a fantastic resonance.

Reply to
Depresion

bah how could i forget the scoob! love that noise but most don't as they say it sounds like an old escort with a spark plug gone :)

Reply to
Vamp

Went to the Goodwood FOS last year and stood right behind a couple of 60s Ferrari sportscars they were warming up to go up the hill. *That* was spine tingling, absolutely amazing! Any big yank V8 does it for me too, or an Impreza WRC car at full pelt on a special stage.

Other than that, a 2cv on a twisty country road, wound up to about 65 in 3rd gear makes a chilling noise too.... kind of like a manic spin-dryer sound, but totally smooth! Those who've heard it know what I mean :-)

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Carl Gibbs decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

My faves?

Delta Integrale Merc AMG 55 Ferrari 250LM Porsche 911 Turbo Alfa 75 3.0 Mk2 Escort RS1800 Metro 6R4 Ducati 996 any V8 TVR Imprezas Lancia Stratos Honda SP1

Reply to
Pete M

Oddly enough, a 1.0 3cyl Corsa wrung out with an aftermarket exhaust sounds very offbeat and Porsche 911 like. Perverse idea I know but I've always wanted to get a 1.0 corsa, strip out all the unrequired stuff (back seats, stereo, fit smaller battery, sound insulation etc) make it as light as possible, then start on the engine (make it safe to 9000 rpm, fit nitrous...) and fit a straight through exhaust...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

All flat-4s sound like that. I prefer the Alfa flat-4 'cos it's even noisier.

Reply to
SteveH

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk) wrote: : My faves? : Metro 6R4

Blair.

Reply to
B.G. Finlay IT Services

wow you guys have got it bad.. no car has ever had that effect one me.. the only thing that ever gives me tingles up the back of my neck is a really good guitar solo.

Mind you, I was driving up the A34 the other day and passed one of those new Bently coupe things.. as I went passed he briefly put his foot down, as though in defiance at me passing him (though he couldn't go very far cos there were cars ahead of him in that lane).. anyway, the roar his bloody engine made, jeez - and that was with all my windows closed and 70mph of Ti, low profile tyre, noise. Pretty impressive it was.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

damn i missed out the TVR tuscan! that noise makes me go cold as it just sounds so powerful! :)

Reply to
Vamp

Agreed on that. V12's sound fantastic.

A guy local to where I live owned a Lambo Murcielagio at one stage (he seems to have traded it in for a Gallardo now!) and blasted past me whilst I was walking once at what must have been flat out in first (I think that's probably all you can do legally on town roads). whaorrrr! I nearly fell on the bloody floor! What a noise! Fantastic. Only other thing that I've had the pleasure of hearing personally that I really enjoyed was when I was standing directly behind a Le Mans car starting up at Goodwood.. I think it was the last Jag to race there IIRC.. .man, nearly blew my eardrums out but it was worth every second. Mind you, i might not be saying that it if had given me tinnitus! Also, my old Pug 305 after I messed with the engine, simply because I could not stop putting my foot flat down and laughing at what I'd done to the old girl!

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Thats just sick!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I guess a Rover V8 is my guitar solo! Very little music has that effect on my, occasionally the odd bassy track.

I remember coming down the A34 once and tring to provoke a McLaren F1, he wasnt having any of it :( A mates recently got a Lotus Espirit, i'm still waiting to hear what thats like, probably pretty nice!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

aye nothing like a well tuned scooby. lovely engine note.

love the V8/V12 roar too. New M3's sound awesome.

Reply to
Mason

One of mine is still an early Jag - say an XK120 - trying hard. One of the most evocative sounds ever to me.

Not something you hear often these days, though. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

at least not for very long without be ing followed by a not too attractive BANG!

;o)

Mason

Reply to
Mason