Carb question

For some reason I'm starting to think the I'd like to be using twin carbs on the Volvo. It'd be a 2.3 8v engine putting out around 150-160bhp, so not massively tuned. Would twin 40s suit this, or am I better to look at twin

45s?
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Stick to the std setup, unless you plan to extensive modifications to the engine, and dont mind using a lot more fuel and paying extra for insurance!

Ken

45s are a better match at 150 / 160bhp. If it REALLY makes that much!
Reply to
Burgerman

Have a google arround. There was a couple of word docs arround, one for Dellorto, one for Weber about choosing the venturi size, and jetting for the DHLA and DCOE carbs for different engine sizes. A bit guess work, but not bad as a foundation to start with.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Hmmm, that doesnt seem to be an answer to the question I asked.

The standard setup is a 2.0i 8v with 120bhp. This is not adequate. I have a 2.3i 8v engine in my garage plus a better cam sat next to me. This is to be used in the car. The standard injection system will not work with this engine, so I need an alternative, and I have 3 options - find the wiring and ECU for the 2.3i engine; import, build and install a megasquirt system; or run on carbs. Now the standard 2.3i loom and ECU would be good to get the car running but ultimately is gonna be a 'safe' fueling map so would not release the full potential of the engine. MS is great, but my electronics skills are not great, but I'm willing to learn. Twins carbs are nice and easy - no fiddly electrics to set up. Carbs would be a pain to setup but there are plenty of resources out there, and I have a renowned tuning garage a few miles from the that could help.

This is my second car, so MPG is not important to me. And TBH even if it was my only car I dont do enough mileage to really worry.

And finally it's a Volvo. Even insurance on a modified one isnt that bad.

So, no, I wont be sticking with the standard set up

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Yeah just been reading one. It seems 40s with the biggest venturi (36mm) would just be ok, but 45s with a 36-40mm venturi would be better. 40s have the benefit of being a fair bit cheaper though

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

How about option 2 & 3, buy a readybuilt megasquirt+megajolt ECU and use the twin 40/45's as throttle bodies only. You get the best of both worlds, fully mapable fuel and ignition with the induction roar of the carbs. Plus it would make it easier to add a turbo later :-)

Reply to
Homer

Well its 130bhp with standard cam and standard injection. The 2.0 8v version with twin 40s and standard cam makes 140bhp, so 150bhp should be acheivable.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

My wallet has just had a heart attack!! :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs
[...]

How important is drivability in traffic?

45s are going to fluff much more off idle and generally not work properly till you're really on cam. 45s will work better WOT on (big)cam but you'd not want them for commuting. 40s will be a bit down on peak power but will respond better part throttle at lowish revs.

I had 45s on my daily driver TVR Vixen's 1600 x-flow for less than a week before going back to 40s...

Alistair J Murray

How much cash are you looking at for a pair ? Thought about bike carbs ? £20-40 a set from ebay, if you can (or know someone who can) fabricate an inlet manifold to suit 'em, they're less likely to go out of tune and produce as much if not more power than Webers.

Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Dont know anyone who could make a manifold. By the time I've paid for one it'll probably be just as cheap to stick with Webers/Dellortos. Besides I'm not technically suppose to use 2 carbs in road rally regs, probably be pushing it a bit if I tried 4!!! :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs