Cars you've bought and wished you hadn't...

What've you bought and wished you hadn't?

The one that sticks out to me was my 16V MK2 Golf. The previous owner had meddled with it, which meant it did 28mpg if you drove like Dervman and the

8V that replaced it was as quick, if not quicker. And it was a stretch to buy it, and then I discovered that loads of 16V parts are twice the price of 8V parts...
Reply to
Doki

OK, I'll go with my 124 Spider.

Big plans for that one, but I didn't check the price of replacement panels before buying it.

Reply to
SteveH

That Rangie. Just that particular one.

Reply to
Elder

The Marea 20V.

Sounded fabulous and went well. But it really liked a drink, felt fragile and was pretty unserviceable.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I've loved all the cars I've owned so far, which admittedly is only 3.

2.6 Carlton - £350 - Brilliant BX Gti - £110 - Brilliant MX-5 - £Vamptastic - Brilliant
Reply to
Douglas Payne

Ooh, now you've gone and done it!

'Fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight, fight!' ;-)

Reply to
JackH

I agree with everything he says.

It sounded lovely, went well, wasn't too fragile feeling to be honest, but totally unservicable.

Which is why I sold mine before it needed one!

Reply to
SteveH

Didn't stop it being the best car in the world ever at the time though did it?

(c:

I think I had a rant to Vamp at the time as he'd just bought the Beemer. My sentiments still stand, Vamp could have had 10 silly sheds between then and now for the same money he's prolly spent on that 328.

Admittedly I'd not have bought 10 20V Mareas.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

my E36 because of the whole engine thing, paid over the odds, took out stupid amount of finance, paid £1500 towards the engine rebuild, plus the ignition barrel went, boot lock, wheel bearing lol guys got a bargain when he comes to collect it this week! there's nothing left on it to fail now really!

just wish i kept it Japanese after the MR2 Turbo, still had SOME good times with the BMW, had a few nice long trips in it and got out after without feeling tired or cramped

Reply to
Vamp

Hugely under-rated cars - I'd have another one. If I could find another where some other mug has paid for the cambelt service for me.

Like a 155, but with a better engine, really.

Which is essentially what they were. They even have the quick-rack steering.

Reply to
SteveH

How much did it fetch in the end, just out of interest?

Reply to
JackH

Just one, a Daimler. I bought it because I'd always fancied the marque but I was stupidly in a rush and paid over the odds. Then I found that the garage selling it had had a bad paint job sone (disguised at the time by sending someone out to wash it and leave it wet before I bought[1]) and they had also bodged several mechanical deficiencies, fudged the car history and had "disguised" the real mileage by having the seats re-connolised on the cheap in a way that meant the paint started to come off the seats after 5k miles.

Thorough rip-off, and I was a mug to fall for it.

[1] I know, I know and I knew then that you never, ever buy a wet car.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Where (TF) have you been ?

I know - somewhere up there.

Same email address ?

(Different computer and there are Rotor type updates if you wish).

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Mk2 Golf GTi - happily won it an an auction without checking the insurance. it seems the the insurance company didn't want to insure an 18 year old that had totally written off his 309 SRi a few weeks earlier. Weird

Mk3 Fiesta Ghia Auto - needed a car desperately and on the cheap (IIRC this was after the Golf shambles, which had it's alloys stolen whilst it was sitting around unused so I couldn't sell it). It did it's job quite well in fact, and wheel spins in the wet were amusing with the CVT, but essentially it was dull and boring.

Don't have any regrets about the rest of my cars. Financially, I probably shouldn't have bought a lot of the cars I've owned, but that's not what it's all about.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

yup and cost me less lol what i should have bought was a nice E30 325 and sold it for what i got it for which i probably could have done :(

Reply to
Vamp

WIthout competition : Matra Murena 1.6 in ivory color.

I wanted that car - a sleek, fancy 3-seater- so bad I was blind. Over 4 years I drove it 230 km (no typo), spun it almost every time I drove it, a bit later it would break dwn, I spent a small fortune on it. Finally love turned to hate and I towed it to a wrecker.

While towing it bumped into the rear of my daily driver.

Opposite to the wrecker there was a second-car-salesman. He saw me deconnecting the Matra and came out. If I want money for it?

No, I wouldn't accept a penny for it. He could have it for free but I would refuse any complaints afterwards. He got handed the keys along with my condolences but it was his choice.

I saw my Murena a few times afterwards, it was repainted in citron- yellow so it stood out. Second reason why it stood out was that it was either by the wayside sporting a red triangel or on a recoverytruck.

Forgot about it finally, even came close to forget how utterly s**te French cars were. They reminded me however: I used no less than 5 Renalut 19's in 2 years. One came close to killing me, a Citroen XM Turbo loosing all hydraulics at around 230 kph came even closer (and ruined a nice set of fireproof underwear).

Then about a year later I received a call from the salesman I gave the Murena to. If I could come over: he had some riotguns, some big caliber pistols ready and 20 liters of fuel to burn the crap thing the Murena was. I was even invite at a party "met wilde wijven" (translation : with wild females) afterwards.

So it happened and we shot up the Murena at the back of the wreckers court using Brenneke (a heavy shotgun lead bullet) and setting the damned thing to fire. About the party later on I only remember that I got quite drunk (rather strange because normally I get sick before drunk) and that I woke up the following day next to a girl I didn't know in a bed that wasn't mine.

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

You could have had an E30 M3 for what that E36 cost you, all-in....

You may have even made money on that one.

Reply to
SteveH

not saying till deal done lol be gone tuesday, part of me will miss it the other part won't. shame really but i couldn't keep paying the fuel and insurance on it as well as the niggles that went wrong too, thought it was bout time i went to something smaller again. i reckon i've paid around £600-700 quid on it this year £130 to replace the wheel bearing, £250 on the new iginition barrel and steering lock which annoyingly had to be done at BMW, had to buy lock stops to stop the wheel rubbing at a cost of £45 as i imported them from the US although a mate fitted them during it's last service. rear tyres cost me over 200 quid cos i got a ticket and needed something on there quick :-( then there was the new washer jets i bought for £10 because i thought they was blocked when all it was in the end was crap at the bottom of the washer bottle D'oh!

oh and even when i got it throught the MOT for the new buyer the ball joint went so had to replace it to pass the MOT at more cost of £150 because it needed over adjustsments too. oh forgot the bootlock too at a cost of £43 (luckly staff discounted through a friend they wanted £55!)

i have to admit i did think 'it drives real nice now and everything is fixed, maybe i should keep it?' but my dad would murder me having 2 cars on the drive, managed to keep him quiet most of the last week and a bit keeping it in my mates MOT station but even he was getting a bit pissed off with it taken up space. that and moving it into the test station when he locked up, last thing i wanted was it broken into!

Reply to
Vamp

my dad always says i should of kept the cavalier, personally i think hes wrong i SHOULD have kept the MR2 Turbo!

Reply to
Vamp

Are you disagreeing about the car, or, shock horror, correcting his grammar?!?

Reply to
Doki