Celica Mirrors to fold in, on signal from toad remote central locking???

Hi..

I have a 1990 Celica GTR import....

One of the very useful facilities is that the wing mirrors fold in when you press a push button near the hand brake, to stop them being "boffed" off by passing lorries etc...

However, I rarely remember to press the button when I get out....

As it's a push button not a rocker switch, could I tie it into the central locking??? (Have a toad Cat1 Alarm Immobilizer which operates the central locking remotely...

Could I pull a signal from the central locking, connect it to the button, and have the mirrors fold in when I lock the doors with the remote?

Any ideas?

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Easily done if you have some basic electronics and electrics skills. You'd probably need to supply a pulse - using something like a 555 timer. RS Components etc have the data sheet which you can download from their website. Or do a search. Probably worth making the timer feed a relay to give complete electrical isolation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But as I used to work for a co that made door mirrors (including power fold ones) for many major makes of cars:-

Make sure the life expectency of the mirrors is equal to that of the average use of the car for the next 10 years - otherwise your mirror's fold will fail - you will get a bad view behind, your car will fail its MOT and replacements (especially if a grey import car) will cost a fortune.

As a guide to wear, double the times you drive the car every day, x 365 x 10 = 1 life. x 6 = what the car manufacturer would expect the mirror to do if they were to spec it as standard. (6 lives)

As a guide to an average mirror, the folding forwards/backwards for the european homologation requirements is usually tested to stand at least 6000 to 10000 cycles, with power fold a MAXIMUM of 2000 cycles, cycled slowly. (less heat build up) The power fold often has a different mechanism to the normal fold forward/back to reduce wear on the power fold.

This is for european cars, the power fold being for a large English car manufacturer that has a name similar to 'big cat'. Jap grey import cars may have different design criteria. (increased/reduced cycle life)

Reply to
Ex Alfa Adam

Heh - people know everything on "The Internet" :)

Reply to
Nom

Not sure what you mean. On all the mirrors I've seen, just the mirror itself moves on adjustment. To fold the thing in for parking, the whole assembly moves.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most common on 4x4's I think, there's the fold in slowly setting for parking up and the fold in yer bastard im about to hit a tree setting that flips it in quick for off road malarkey.

Reply to
Andrew Jewitt