Cheap Tat for the Commute

To explain, I'm all for using Kermit until he's got zillions of miles on the clock, but Charlie says we now need another car, and since she's the main earner these days, what she says goes! :)

So I'm thinking, heh, she can use the Ka and I'll force myself into something dreary for the dreary A1 commute to work.

Corsa 1.5 diesel Merit, poverty spec, should make me appreciate the Ka! :)

Or:

Hmmmmmm....

Reply to
DervMan

Nah. I get to spend her salary and mine on fun stuff...

DervMan

Kill yourself now.

Definately kill yourself now.

Reply to
Doki

NAh...top spec J/K Sierra 2.0i 4x4 Sapphire GLX/Ghia or Carlton waftomatic. Pick either up for a few hundred quid. Run 'em into ground, bin em and get another.

Reply to
Conor

It is very tempting, and I'm a member of the Ford Sierra Owners Club, however I also have to think about insurance, and about Charlie driving something RWD in the wet.

Not that she'll crash or anything, she'll just be having more fun than me but wanting that V8 again! :0

Reply to
DervMan

Put it on a classic policy as a second car. It'll cost you bugger all, should be cheaper than a normal policy.

Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Good idea!

Oooh cheap blue Ka on eBay...

Reply to
DervMan

Thats why I was thinking about the 4X4 Sierra rather than a RWD one.

2.0i DOHC 4x4 should return 32-33MPG. Insurance is dirt cheap too. Cheapness of purchase/maintenance should offset the higher fuel costs.

If you want FWD, you can pick up nice examples of Cavvies or MK3 Ashtrays for a few hundred quid. Mate bought a 1.4L M reg Ashtray from auctions for £200 with 4 months MOT on it. Tidy car too. Horn didn't work and it looked like the previous owner had no luck getting it to go. Took my mate 2 days to get nowhere too until I pointed out to him that it was switched 0V, not 12V and 5 minutes of faultfinding revealed a broken connection inside the plug on the back of the horn.

If you honestly don't give a toss about what you drive, Rover 216/416-

420 (early shape) don't fetch much.
Reply to
Conor

Don't do it - 2.0 4x4 is a dog - engines weak, need revving to get them moving, unrefined and thrashy - drink as much as the 2.8/2.9 would.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Which part of 4x4 did you not quite grasp Dervy?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Aye, but they're rear wheel biased. The four by four bit is merely to help you control the slides.

Superb system, to be fair, works very well - far too much fun for Charlie. :)

But worth thinking about...

Aye! All stuff to consider.

Reply to
DervMan

They're a rear wheel bias all wheel drive system - you get RWD fun but with the benefit of driven front wheels to help you control the slide.

I just didn't put "bias" between "RWD" and "in the wet" heh... :-/

Reply to
DervMan

And the 2.0 bit stops you sliding in the first place.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Heh! The 2.8s and 2.9s are cheaper than the 2.0... :)

Reply to
DervMan

Impressive the way they haven't even bothered to wipe the rust / oil / dog poo off the front numberplate before throwing it onto ebay.

Reply to
Questions

why not run the KA into the ground? why not buy something half decent like a nice V8 yank tank and wear the crappy common as much KA to the ground and grab another :)

Reply to
Vamp

I plan to! :)

Hmmmmmm.

Charlie'll go for a classic Mustang.

I get to commute using the Ka.

She gets to fuel the Mustang.

I get to drive the Mustang from time to time.

Sorted!

Reply to
DervMan

Not a horrid 70's one I hope? Only one stang will do...

Naah scrub that - go for a classic Saab T16S.. I have just the one..cheap.

Reply to
chris

I can imagine me trying to justify a Saab with the Mustang:

Charlie: is it a V8? Dervy: no but it's quick! C: it it rear wheel drive? D: no but it's great in the snow! C: does it make the car shake when you blip the throttle/ D: no but it has four valves per cylinder.

Hmm. Ain't gonna happen I'm afraid. Women, eh? ;

Reply to
DervMan

The only things worth spending money on are girls, drink, cars and possibly bicycles. She's already stopping you spending on 2 of the 3...

Reply to
Doki