Citroen ZX Glow Plugs

Cross posted to .mods as I know quite a few people on there have had 306s and the like.

The glow plugs on the ZX seem to have stopped glowing. I've managed to change the third one, but all the others are behind something else - 1 and 2 are behind the injection pump, and 4 is behind what looks like some sort of oil breather apparatus. Has anyone got any idea how to get these off? I've seen mention of using swan neck spanners in posts on Google, that sounds a bit optimistic to me...

Reply to
Doki

I think The 306 arrangement differs depending on how old the car is and whether it has a cat and EGR etc.

The Citroen versions of the engines sometimes have different apparatus bolted on like part plastic inlet manifolds instead of metal ones. On intercooled TDs I think you have to remove the intercooler. I don't have any ZX specific knowledge, sorry.

I've also never changed the glowplugs on any of the XUD'd cars we've had

- always had someone else do it - I know it involves some dismantling but I'm sure you don't have to take the injection pump right off.

Our 306 isn't here at the moment so I can't check it to compare notes. Hopefully someone else here will be more helpful.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

It's an L reg NA diesel, so TD advice doesn't seem to apply. I reckon the best way might be to pay a man.

Reply to
Doki

it is listed as a 0.6 hour job, so it shouldn't be too hard or too expensive to pay someone to change them.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

My old BX was a doddle (same engine) but everything was easily visible, the Xantia was a complete pain in the arse. I couldn't do it so I GALMI. IIRC he could do the job in about half an hour or so. Serpently didn't charge much to do it anyway.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Its french so you probably have to take the engine out and replace the complete assembly...

Reply to
Burgerman

Well, I've just bought a set of glowies for my 306 but I haven't changed them yet. I intend to do it tomorrow; I'll let you know then...

Reply to
Abo

Ah right, mine's a TD, so...

Reply to
Abo

Deep sockets used in conjunction with a knuckle joint and a lot of patience seems to be how the place I use used to do the ones on various PSA diesels I've had.

HTH

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

It'll be a bastard. Take it to a garage (not a main dealers obviously).

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc