Clio Alloys

I have a 2002 clio and am looking at replacing the alloy wheels. the car is currently fitted with 185/55/r15 tyres. With the renault 15" alloys.

I want aftermarket alloys but do not want any clearance MOT offset problems and so i dont trust what the people selling me the alloys say, will they say i can get wheels that will not fit just because they get more money out of me. Is there any way that you guys can teach me how to measure for myself what wheels will fit?

Many Thanks Richard.

Reply to
Richard Jones

Have a look on google groups, someone asked a very similar question not long ago. ISTR you could get on pretty big alloys, but remember you'll need to keep the rolling radius of the tyre / wheel the same to keep the same level of performance / speedo accuracy. Look up tyre size calculators on google to do the sums for that.

Reply to
Doki

Of course not, don't be stupid. If they sold you wheels that didn't fit, you'd just take them back for a refund (with trading standards behind you if necessary) and they'd be stuck with a set of wheels in their cupboard ! It's in their interest to please you as a customer, if they want to make (and keep) the sale !

What size do you want ?

First thing you need to do, is keep the total radius of wheel+tyre the same. So the bigger the alloy, the thinner the tyre needs to be. Assuming you're gonna fit 17" rims, then

will tell you that you'll need205/40/17 tyres, to keep almost the same diameter as your current 185/55/15.You're only increasing the width of the tyre by 20mm (from 185 to 205) andthe diamter is staying the same, so there won't be any clearance problems. You don't need to know the actual fitment of the wheel (PCD and Offset etc.) because the place you're buying the wheels from, will have all that in their book. You just say "Hi. I'd like a set of seventeen inch wheels, with tyres, for my 2002 Clio. What do you have that will fit ?"

Reply to
Nom

Reply to
Richard Jones

Please don't top post, there's a good chap.

The biggest wheels that novas ever came with from the factory were probably reasonably skinny 14" perhaps even 15" puppies. There'll be examples of modern cars like your Clio that come with 16" wheels as standard, perhaps even with the size of tyre you're thinking of getting. I don't think there'll be any problems with rubbing and stuff as long as the offset, centre bore and PCD is right on the wheels you do buy.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

172 has 16's with (iirc) 195/45/16's possibly 195/40/16's
Reply to
Dan405

Yes, because a Nova takes 13" wheels as standard !

Clearly a 3" increase is gonna affect things !

Exactly. The Nova boys are going from 135 tyres (or something equally stupid) to 195 - a HUGE increase !

You have a brand new Clio. The same brand new Clio comes with 17" wheels (on the 172/182 models) as standard !

Reply to
Nom

Well it better give them back then, or 16 will kick his ass ! What exactly has he taken from 16's possesion ?

:)

17s are an option on the 182.
Reply to
Nom

No, it comes with 16s as standard :)

Reply to
Dan405

17s are an option on the 182, according to Renault's website :)
Reply to
Nom

So they don't come 'as standard' then :)

Reply to
Dan405