Cool car with street cred

Agreed, massive carrying ability, but *Jesus*, street cred? Lotus Carlton *Estate*. You just know you want to do that conversion......

JB

Reply to
JB

Could I point sir to the text "amongst certain circles" ? :-)

FWIW, *I* think an XM Estate has a certain type of "cool" about it, albeit a warped one (though it'd have to be a 3.0 24v Automatic Exclusive one, or a

2.5TD).......

I'd love to, though it has been done (I'm sure you've seen it on Autobahnstormers -

if you haven't), but it'd be very nice to be able to buy that off the bloke......

Reply to
AstraVanMan

What, other than being #1 or #2 for reliability in the UK for umm, several years you mean?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Or from the other end of the scale, a Jaguar XJS coupe with the 4.0 DOHC AJ16 engine. There's only one available at Autotrader at the moment, for £8.5K.

James May says they are the coolest cars around at the moment (so that probably means seriously uncool) and the only one of the range worth considering is the 4.0 coupe and preferably with the last of the straight six engines, the AJ16. The V12 is awesome but it makes no sense to drive or own, the 4.0 is the mutt's nuts.

Having said that, there's a 6.0V12 supercharged for sale at the moment what would make me relax my rule about "no V12s".

Reply to
Steve Firth

Ooo that is quite cool actually...

Reply to
DanTXD

Yea fair points - still not sure Boras have cred though ;)

IME Scoobies are very well built, as are Mitsubishis - and both an Impreza and an Evo are definately cool in the kind of areas we're discussing - Evo cooler than Impreza of course.

Civic's are becoming quite cool these days, the slightly older 1.6 VTis have a bit of a following...

Reply to
DanTXD

Evos and Imprezas are chav motors around these parts.

Reply to
SteveH

Difficult to find good ones now. Very nice looking CX on Autotrader recently but a silly price.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Evos, Imprezzas and Skylines are ueberchav motors.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Skylines just scrape under the uberchav category as they are cool in a f*ck me that's fast sort of way, plus its a Nissan, mits and Subaru are just real tacky with big spoilers and stripes and mooosive turbos producing zillions of bhp for about 2 weeks then they blow up :) or are involved in a FATAC.

Skylines I would say are in the same cat as Toyota Supras

Reply to
Ronny

Was that actually meant to be as funny as it sounds ?

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Ah yes thanks, Supra, another chav car.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Finally a normal person who doesn't fart out dust like these other old foggies.

Ok Ronny thanks for the sugguestions will look into them :-)

/me walks around oldies cars and stabs tyres

/me sneaks off giglin'

Reply to
magicman

Tight budget of 4K

Reply to
magicman

hmmm reliability would be nice.

WOuld would you recommend in the jap category Ronny ?

Reply to
magicman

Ah that opens up a few more options :-) Are you aiming for that kinda size then? Previous shape 2.2 Astra SRis can be had for that money now, as can

206 GTis, Clio 172s, as Ronny said, Golf Mk4 if that's your thing - I'm sticking hot hatch kinda area here - maybe consider things like MX5s? Anymore critera you're looking at?
Reply to
DanTXD

no.

Reply to
magicman

Probably into MR2 Turbo money, good nick Celica GT4, the odd R32 Skyline pops up for that money (probably not a good one though), You *might* get a high mileage Supra 3.0 NA for that (one of the last shape ones), older Civic VTi, as I say, quite a cult following, if budget allows, previous shape Accord Type-Rs are nice cars.

Reply to
DanTXD

In all honesty I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for, hence the question. But this is all giving me good ideas to search.

206 gti's float my boat. The mk4 golf is a big chubby. I'm lookinf for something not too balshy small and fast. I think the hot hatch cat is the right place to look. Ahh and something that won't slughter the insurance.

As for astras, clios I know f*ck all about.

Reply to
magicman

forgot to add not looking for something that typically gets big ugly platic bodykits stuck to it.

Reply to
magicman