Coolness on the 'bay

1991 Pug 405 Mi16 4x4 :-) It's the early, 1.9 16v, alloy 160bhp engine'd Mk1. Complete with 4x4 although aren't these some kinda transfer box setup for the 4wd - as opposed to the centre LSD setup of the rare, and LHD only, 405 T16? So I guess what I'm really getting at is that it's probably not 4wd any more heh. But it is cheap and looks sweet. Wonder if the aircon work

86k miles, looks excellent in the photos, but then says the dreaded "Has no MOT but does run very well". Who knows, it may fly through without a problem, but you to wonder why, if that was the case, they didn't just get it done as it'd sell much better with 12 months ticket. It's possible they just didn't wanna spend £50 on it mind, that is a good chunk worth of the total value of the car hehe - my glass is half full today.

Mr Gibbs, you know you want it ;-)

Reply to
DanB

Ooooooooooooo, that's just asking for trouble. I love it! Didn't they have some sort of BX-style rear self levelling suspension?

On Watch List, but I suspect it will go for more money than I'm willing to pay for a rare and potentially expensive French 4x4 with strange suspension and no MoT!!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I believe they shared rear suspension with the BX 4x4.

I also believe the Hyropneumagic pump was a Mi16x4 specific electric number rather than the engine driven BX one.

It's the no MOT bit I don't like. Curse the high price of scrap steel!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I'm so glad I bought the 325i... that 405 almost got the bidding twitch.

Reply to
Pete M

Hmm I wouldn't mind that, no reason to buy it though

Reply to
Abo

also watching :)

would be a nice donor for the 309 :)

Reply to
Rob

alarm bells are ringing

not been taxed since 01 09 2000

Reply to
Rob

Stored? I've asked...

Reply to
Abo

Replying to my own question:

'Yes, there is a very simple reason. I bought an automatic car as I have problems with my back. At that point, I then stopped using the Mi16 regularly. I stopped taxing it and couldn't sell it as that car actually has a sentimental value to me. However, I am now being sensible about things and selling the car and letting it be put to good use as opposed to none at all. It is a shame seeing the car not being put to good use.

Reply to
Abo

If i win i better not tell him i'm going to rip it apart :)

Reply to
Rob

Could you make a 309 or 306 4x4 out of a 405 4x4? Or would it take too much welder work?

Reply to
Elder

Why bother?

Reply to
SteveH

Why not?

Reply to
DanB

Because you'd be ruining 2 cars to make one chop shop special?

Reply to
SteveH

The only 4x4 306 I've seen is that sweet red Cossie powered one used in rallying. I think it's Cossie 4x4 setup as well. 309 Goodwoods that are standard too look at but with Mi16 engines, are sweet :-)

Reply to
DanB

I'd rather have a 309 Goodwood, or really tidy GTi, and just take the engine from the Mi16x4 - as the Mi16x4 is slower and handles worse than the straight Mi16 anyway, it would be no great loss. And I suppose putting the

4x4 would make something with pretty good interestingness factor - although it wouldn't be to my likings, I can see why people would. Especially if both cars were a bit sheddy anyway like that one must be having stood for 8 years heh.
Reply to
DanB

I wouldn't chop that 405 Mi16 4x4, though, 'cos they're a rare car, and that one looks pretty good - it'll just need a decent service and the brakes sorting to get it back on the road.

I can see the point in an Mi16 engine, but only if it has come from an Mi16 that has been written off or isn't economical to repair, but I wouldn't like to see someone take an engine from one that just needs a little tidying.

Reply to
SteveH

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The BX/405 4x4 transfer box has an amazing reputation for stripping the splines on the shaft - leaving you with (IIRC) 0wd. Most BX 4x4s are now normal 4x2 as a result.

If that one works, sell the transfer box. Quickly.

Reply to
Adrian

So that's all the proper jags and mercs gone then. And the bentleys and rollers.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

"Tim S Kemp" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not to mention damn near all yank v8 stuff...

Reply to
Adrian