Corsa C Turbo Conversion

BBR's arent that powerful in standard road spec I dont think. From what I remember of them from Japfast they're only 150bhp from the 1.6 engine. Better of getting a 1.8 and buying an aftermarket supercharger for that sort of power!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

The V6 diseasel in the Signumb is lifted straight from saab, and I seem to recall the 2.0t engine was modified from the standard 2.0 by Saab.

Sweden and Germany have engineers that are obsessed with quality and reliability.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Volvo's early S40 engines were based on Renault or Mitsubishi motors, but still covered huge miles and the 1.9 in the T4 was reliably putting 200bhp out, and chipped by many to 250 or higher (fuel consumption often suffered at this point...)

The older 5 potters were based on an Audi design.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

9000 aero - first fast car I ever had a ride in - scary. 3900 quid gets you a good choice of S40 T4, V40 T4 and 850 T5, that's 200-265 bhp in standard trim, 250-320 being an ECU program away.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

GM also own Daewoo...

...whereas Daewoo apparently do not, be it badged as a yank tank, or otherwise.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Errr no. Early 400 series were based (infact the earliest versions were lifted straight from Renault) and volvo had about 4 sessions of fettling them into something half decent, which by the end of production in 1.8 and

2.0 form were pretty tidy, if fundementally an old 8v design.

All the 4 cylinder all alloy 40 series engines are; see below....

Only the TDI was an ex-audi engine.

No again. The all alloy petrol white block 3litre straight 6 that Volvo first introduced in the 960 in 1991 jointly developed with Porsche from, well a big lump of aluminium, was the first of the modular units. From the very start on the engineers board it was designed from the start to be turbo-charge-able. Each cylinder was designed with a swept volume of 500cc so that cylinders could be loped off to vary the capacity.

The 5 pot soon followed in the 1991 850 at launch in 2litre (143) and 2.5

20v (170) NA trim.

Soon after Volvo chopped another pot off to create a 4 banger which they slotted in the new S40 range launched in mid '96.

By this time we had the 850T5 and all the turbocharging know how that Porsche had helped with was passed down to the 4 cylinder to make the T4.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Sadly the v6 dieseasel is not a paragon of reliablilty. Infact its quite the opposite!

Saab 4 potters all use a 2 litre 16v motor, be they bequothed 1.8t, 2.0t, or

2.0T on boot lid- just add a different flavour of ECU, and AFAIK no intercooler on the 'smallest' engine.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

I thought they'd dumped Daewoo, or were about to.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Well spotted...

Erm... this is where we disagree. The 1.6 / 1.8 were the renault lump, and I'm sure the 1.9 and the older 2.0 / 2.0t also. The phase II (yr 2001 > end) were the modular 2.0 / 2.0t / T4 motor. I'm doing this from a clouded memory.

Oh, and there was the mitsubishi engined one also - I had one, as my run of accidents precluded the turbo on grounds of insurance and the 1.8 Gdi had similar performance to the 2.0 with much better fuel economy.

Was it a porsche engineering project or was the engine designed to appear in a porsche model?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Think "chevrolet"

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No, they've just rebranded them as Chevrolet for the European market.

Reply to
SteveH

And the 2.3 was the best of the 4 potters anyway. I'm going to miss the camchain, and 100k plus between changes, if I get a more modern Saab, and I must say, when it gets a bit older, the 9-3 convertable will be a bargain.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Only in a Windscale kind of way. There is no Daewoo dealerships or new cars, but the Current UK Chevrolets pay more than a passing resemblance to one or the others.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I would imagine it was an engineering project.

Porsche took the 210bhp 3.0 V6 from my Pug, and stuck a fancy top end on to give 250bhp, for Renault to use in the Clio V6. I don't think they had any intention of using it themselves. Now that I think about it, that's not actually relevent in any way - but there you go :)

Reply to
Nom

Chains are a poorman's solution these days - modern cambelts are quite happy upto 80k, and they're much quieter, and easier to change.

Reply to
Nom

...plus the £6000 that his Corsa is worth.

So he's actually got a budget of about £10,000. Which opens up all manner of exciting machinery, and it's insurance too.

Reply to
Nom

so why are quite a few modern engines going back to chains?

Then again, there's never been a Rover V8 that's had a belt or chain failure.

Reply to
Pete M

Bloody hell, how d'they manage that without you noticing? Engine crane under cover of darkness? :-)

Well, at least it went to a good home. Does your car insurance cover you for engine theft? LOL

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I don't know, I had the tensioner, chain, chain cover gasket and cam=20 cover gasket done on my Saab for =A3250 including labour from a local=20 independant Saab place. Saab charge =A3400 just for the chain.

The chain itself didn't need doing, but it had an obsolete tensioner on=20 (informed by a different garage, who didn't stock them because they=20 mainly dealt with second hand parts). Was quoted for just a tensioner=20 from my usual garage, and then with chain.

Their premise was if everything is coming off anyway, you are only=20 paying extra for the part, because we are doing most of the labour=20 anyway. It had done 135k by then. They said it could be fine, because=20 they don't normally wear out at all much below 150-200k, but with that=20 old tensioner (which was a known wear fail point for the old chains), it=20 was better to be safe than sorry, and get another 150k from the engine. at 12-15k miles, that is another 10 years of engine life. Not bad for=20 =A3250.

OH BTW, my old Saab is still arround. Currently Sorned, but he did say=20 he wanted it for a project to get back to mint. Had a look at it on the=20 DVLA road tax site.

--=20 "Sorry Sir, the meatballs are Orf" The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

Sleeker GT Phwoar

I bet one of my Cologne V6s has never had one let go either! Now that's Ford reliability for you :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs