Corsa SRi Remap / Superchip

What is the maximum power gain that can be achieved by re-mapping /chipping the Vauxhall Z18XE?

I have visited various tuning sites and although some claim to be able to up power to approx 140-150BHP they seem a bit vague on actual acceleration / torque figures.

Anyone you can recommend, preferably within about 150 miles of Newcastle?

Budget is about £600.

Reply to
Freddy Flintoff

Try and find a chip company that will guarantee claimed power increase...........and which wont charge you if they cant fulfill the claims.

Ken

With a 123bhp starting point you'll never achieve much more than about

130bhp with 'chipping' alone...

Justin.

Reply to
Justin Cole

Just about spot on..................strange that people always seemm to take the ridiculous claims of chip people seriously.

Ken

The wrong side of f*ck all.

Wow.

That's because chips on NA cars tend to do jack shit.

Put it towards a new car.

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Or just buy something outright that will be bigger, faster better handling and less of a Chav chariot.

Most of us on here know it can be done.

Reply to
Elder

Because they're talking bollocks. You'll never get that out of the Z18XE without getting your hands dirty...

Reply to
Abo

Really?

Ever actually driven one?

Name ONE (standard) car that can do 0-60 in 8.0 secs 127mph AND is only Insurance group 9!

We'd all like to own Scoobys/172's etc. but as I'm 24 with 6 points, Insurance is a big affordability factor.

Reply to
Freddy Flintoff

I have, I quite like them. No one in here has driven one, ignore their "I'm grumpy and old" opinions. I bet you a twenty Lordy will be back in a minute to say they don't really do 60 in 8 seconds (manufacturers stats don't mean as much as someone saying "I once did one in my SORover" or some such apparently). Although, they are right about the chip, not really worth the wedge. They benefit from better breathing and some exhaust work though. I know a guy with a bright gold one (you may have seen it in, IIRC, Total Vauxhall - Gold with all the Irmscher bits, chrome 18s and coilovers) on throttle bodies, and that's still only making 160bhp on the rollers (several £k spent...).

Reply to
Iridium

4.7secs to 60 launching in 2nd, 150mph before it ran out of gears at the redline my old "1.6L Sierra" with its factory blue printed V8 and a bottle of nitrous in the boot?

Before I told them! (northwich union at which point they freaked a bit) At which point it became CHEAPER! - Adrian Flux Custom Car £167 Third party fire and theft in 1996 (with 5 bans on my licence for exessive speeding and a minor write off a year before when my garage exploded and destroyed my skin, workshop and turbo/Nitrous 1135 Suzuki....)

Reply to
Burgerman

Shouldnt that be "Formerly formerly DanTDX" ??

Reply to
Burgerman

Group 17

But try 0-60 in 7.4, 140mph, 185bhp, electric everything except aircon. Cost =A3300 and for each MOT only needed handbrake adjustment because=20 "they all do that sir", so I adjusted it and it passed, after replacing=20 the calipers the first time I refurbed the old set as spares. Needn't have bought them anyway as I say it was just the handbrake=20 adjustment that the garage says "To be honest we try to avoid sorting=20 them anyway" Scruffy but solid. I wish I had never sold it now.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Within Temptation-Deceiver of Fools

Reply to
Elder

Yes. Shite, slow and not particularly inspiring to drive. They don't put cars like that in low insurance groups for no reason.

It may push an eight second time on a good day with a strong wind behind it, but that is because it is /geared/ to do so, not because it's a quick car. It's just a marketing technique designed to mask a lack of power and make a small lukewarm hatch seem appealling.

lol, is that your idea of a dream car - an out of date Clio ? :)

Well then, you won't be able to afford the extra insurance premium for having your existing motor chipped, will you.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Bx Gti and a corsa sri will not do 0-60 in 8 seconds flat sorry

Reply to
Rob

pfft 150 horses out a Z18XE no way not without splitting it open or spending

4 figures on t/b's

my x20 Eco put out 151 horses that was after a remap cams and headwork

my C20 XE put out about 12-15 horses more with the same mods :)

my bx put out over 170 after spending 400 quid including buying and mot'ing the car :)

Reply to
Rob

That's the 16v presumably, right?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Maximum speed is irrelevant but acceleration and power to weight is of more relevance.

So I'll take your Corsa and raise you the 1.5 Yaris T-Sport, which sits in Insurance Group 7, takes 8.0 seconds to hit 62 mph, reaches a claimed 118 mph and is more economical too for when you're not trying to impress your mates.

It will also never, ever break down or be stolen.

Then I'll raise you to the Daihatsu Sirion, which with just a 1.3 engine hits 62 mph in 7.9 seconds and also sits in insurance group 8.

Speak for yourself. But very few people want to own a Corsa.

Earn more. Live in a less pikey area.

Reply to
DervMan

ffs, trust you :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

If I had seen this earlier...

But like you said, the Corsa 1.8 is geared for an impressive 0 - 62 time. Comparing the Corsa to some other machinery with a comparable 0 - 62 time and, just like the SportKa and Saxo VTS, it feels overgeared.

Reply to
DervMan

Sorry, you're wrong...

Yaris 1.5 T-Sport

0-60 mph (secs) 9 Max speed (mph) 118

Oh dear, you're wrong again...

Daihatsu Sirion Rally 2 (Group 10 insurance)

"Speak for yourself. But very few people want to own a Corsa"

Quite a few must want to, seeing as it was one of the top selling cars in the country last year.

Reply to
Freddy Flintoff