Councils - don't ya just love em !

I wonder why they think I live in East Yorkshire ?!?!?!?

Anyway :

Council's Used Car Ban

A town council looks set to ban the sale of second-hand cars on many of its streets. Highways chiefs in Scarborough, East Yorks, are fed up with rows of battered vehicles being offered for as little as £100 - and they believe many of the cars are being sold by dealers rather than private individuals.

Reply to
Nom

I bet you feel jealous of the bloke with his lovely new 316 :D

Reply to
Doki

individuals.

It's grim up North.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

What's wrong with that ? Sounds fair enough to me.

Reply to
Lordy

It doesn't affect me, but banning the sale of second hand cars "to stop them being sold by dealers" seems to be, er...

If it is parking them on the road, not everyone has a drive...

Reply to
Questions

Love to see just how they intend to enforce this.

Reply to
Conor

done the same round my way every car that is parked on the road with a "for sale" sing in the window gets toad even if they aren't there for ages and it's an innocent motorist who's parked up to go shopping and as well as making the whole of the town a virtual no go area due to there being only one car park in the whole of Southall and everywhere else either double yellow's or residents parking, they have also made the one place where people COULD park for free parking meter controlled :(

individuals.

Reply to
dojj

[SNIP]

I assume you mean towed, otherwise I'm thinking about something else... ;)

Is this actually enforcable by law? This sounds incredibly dodgy to me - surely there would be quite a strong legal case against a council doing this. Very confusing.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Yep, under the local government act 2000, local authorities can do anything they consider likely to improve the economic, social or environmental well being of their area, so long as it isn't prohibited in other legislation.

James

Reply to
James Grabowski

If you want a chuckle, then check out the "Comments" section !!!

Note : The Leon Cupra R is fictional - didn't think my point would come across very well other wise :D

Reply to
Nom

That's kinda scary! Surely it's an invasion of an individual's rights? What's it coming to when the council won't let you sell your car?!?!!? What else could a council do that isn't prohibited by legislation? Maybe we'll all have to rent our cars off the council by 2010 and pay fees for... I dunno, pushing a pram through a town centre. You could be shot for littering and charged for using a bin.We might all have to wear personal number plates and pay a 'pedestrian charge' within people congestions zones. Rudeboys might have to pay a license fee in order to place absurdly large and ill-fitting spoilers to the backs of their underpowered shopping trolleys.

Mmm. That's not a bad idea actually.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

With a clamp, a tow truck and a crusher I imagine, same as every other=20 street offence involving cars, and or bailiffs.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

You have a right to use the road, assuming you pay the relevent taxes, you're allowed to sell your house on the councils land so why not your car?

Reply to
Dan405

Banning the sale of second hand cars *on the streets*.

Then they don't stick a "For Sale" sign in the window. Seems perfectly straightforward.

Reply to
Lordy

Erm, you don't have a "right" to sell your car on the council's property.

Reply to
Lordy

Well, you have a right to leave your (taxed) car on the road, don't you?!?!??!?!

So what if it has a sign in the window say it is for sale? What concern is that of the council?

I mean, if it's parked illegally or untaxed - sure, the council could tow it away.. but to simply remove a car because it's 'for sale' well, I'm sorry, but there's no way that should be allowed. I DO see that as a removal of one's rights.

If they can get away with saying that cars with a 'for sale' sign in the window can be towed away, then they could just as easily say that *any* car parked on the road could be towed away. As far as I'm concerned, this is a downright disgrace. I'm happy I don't live in such an area.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

What has that got to do with anything exactly ?

Then you're trading.

Street traders normally need a licence.

They can - any car that is in violation of legislation.

And like I said, it seems perfectly straightforward to me.

Reply to
Lordy

Using something, and trading off of something are not the same thing tho...

It's not the council's land.

House's are generally not left littering streets and preventing people parking... :)

Reply to
Lordy

You haven't seen some parts of Salford and Warrington and Manchester. Believe it or not, some parts of Manchester are so ignored and run down,=20 that a perfectly sound habitable and safe house will not fetch more than=20 =A310-20000. And that with the property boom. They would be much better=20 bought, bulldozed and turned into car parks, so they are preventing=20 people parking.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

Methinks they won't like the backlash. At the moment they've got several dozen seafront business owners trying to sue them for lost trade because sea defence work overran by more than 2 years. My mates arcade has gone from a £60k/year profit to barely breaking even over the last 3 years as the work has shut over 1000 car parking spaces 200 yards up from his arcade.

Reply to
Conor