DanTXD gets award for most useful post of year so far.

Yes it was an exhaust heat shield. Congrats, just a rattle, not a death rattle.

But it wasn't one of the many heat shields under the bonnet (about 5). The reason I could hear it louder in the car with the door open rather than under the bonnet was that it was right under my arse.

The GT4 exhaust is hugely long with 5 sections, turbo elbow->CAT->Downpipe->flexi section->midsection->tailpipe.

the heat shield in has question has absolutley no use that I can see apart from cause random rattles once 10 years old.

It was on the Flexi section, after the flexi and resonator box, just before the join of the midsection. It was shaped to fit under the pipe not over it, so it wasn't to protect the floot pan from heat, and is right under the drivers seat. Both the clamps had rusted solid, and snapped at the point where they where hidden between the pipe and the floor pan. I tried to turn them to get a socket on, and they pulled right off bringing the shield with it. For now it's staying off, as I doubt it would fit on 2.5" system anyway. Started it up again. Lack of rattle. Bingo, job done, and DanTXD wins Kudos mechanical points.

On an even better note, fuel filter also changed, without leaks and no signs of any additional fumes, so it sounds like I got it right, even if I did have to pull the AFM, Airfilter, charcoal canister to get to it, and move one of the wiring loom brackets out to get a reach in. Took about an hour, but if I need to do it again, about 30-40 mins tops.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Well guys, when you have this much mechanical knowledge, you have to try and help out the little people ;)

Reply to
DanTXD