Diesel smoke on cold start

My 306 is a bit smoky when started for the first time when cold. By which I mean e.g. stood overnight, not even after it has cooled down in the work's car park. There is no smoke on a warm start and nothing while running.

Since this is my first diesel... Could it mean the glowplugs need replacing, or am I looking at petrol-esq sinisterness?

Reply to
Abo

What colour smoke? Is it taking any longer to start (and I mean only a couple of tunrs here)? If "light" and it's turning over even one or two more times before catching than in the summer, yes, glowplugs.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Yeah that's hit the nail right on the head. New set of 'plugs on the shopping list, then...

Reply to
Abo

Don't scrimp. Get OEM - Beru or Bosch IIRC. Cheap ones IME (Halfords own brand) generally fail quickly and the aggro they cause isn't worth the price difference.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Don't worry, I won't be going anywhere near the Halfords crap... Just got off the phone from my friendly local motor factor where I get my filters etc. from and they want £6 each for Beru ones. I was going to do them today when I had a bit of spare time but it's pissing down :(

Reply to
Abo

Absolutely yes - or the relays. Don't buy cheapo glowies, they fail quicker than you can snort the diesel.

Reply to
DervMan