Difference between adjusting actuator & opening bleed valve?

I have a 2.0 16v Turbo car with a T3 and -31 actuator and was wondering whats the difference between opening my bleed valve and adjusting my actuator? I understand about the safe limits of my engine, have a boost gauge and injector warning light if the ECU can't cope with the fuelling

Reply to
vlg

What engine / ecu. If the ECU uses boost to control fuelling ( not all do ) the ECU will get an inaccurate boost level to its map sensor, thus will not fuel the car correctly. If your ECu doesn't use boost for fuelling there is little difference, except adding a bleed valve is a bit bodgy, better to adjust the actuator or get a stronger one.

-31 should be strong enough for 1.5bar unless its old and knackered.

Reply to
Mark Craft

Er, you failed to mention what car and engine.

Bleed Valves are a bad idea - they spike horrendously !

Reply to
Nom

the actuator has a preloaded spring on it so that when it is fitted the little wastegate b=valve is kept shut under boost till the limit of the actuator is reached and then it opens and bleeds the excess air from the turbo and out the exhaust rather than forcing it through the engine this is reset and not recommended that it's adjusted a bleed valve is there to bleed the air the wastegate actuator needs to see before it opens so, if the actuator is set to open at say 20psi and your engine is only rated for say 15psi, you need to swap for a weaker actuator and then set it up with a bleed valve so that your 10psi unit actually opens when it sees 15psi and not 10

the problem with adjusting stuff is that you will see more power for a short while until the fuelling requirements fall short of the boost levels (mainly when you are on a high speed run looking for constant top end) and you end up melting things

Reply to
dojj