Dithering over

You need OSX. In a lot of ways it's a shame Apple won't allow it to be used on standard Intel hardware. I could see a lot of people who are tempted by Linux being drawn in by a system that has the stability of Unix, but is more user-friendly than Windows.

Unfortunately for Linux, most of the desktop managers out there fall into one of 3 categories:

  1. 'My first computer'
  2. Amiga Workbench circa 1989
  3. Desperately trying to look like XP

Aside from the installation issues, it's the 3 points above that make Linux so hard for me to like.

Reply to
SteveH

It's newer and more expensive therefore it's better :-)

Reply to
Iridium

To be fair though, the kind of people who are tempted by Linux are geeky sorts, and as a rule they're bright enough to need more user friendly than Windows. Windows is seriously user friendly, if you can't operate it you have to be some kind of mong :-) My 61 year old father uses it and stores an MP3 collection on there and connects it to his iPod!

Reply to
Iridium

Got a link to this DELL machine you are looking at??

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

If only.

The North Sea Air Combat range used 64-bit processors many years ago, but then the system had to deal with a (at the time) utterly silly amount of physical memory.

Reply to
DervMan

Um. It was a Dell 530N IIRC. That's available with Ubuntu but it's pretty pointless IMO - it's dearer than the 530 with XP, and it does have slight hardware differences (different graphics card) to ensure compatability, there are better specced machines than the 530 for less, available from Dell, namely the Vostro 200MT - put D08V03 into the search box and it'll come straight up. Here's a link but I'm not sure it'll work:

Spec it with no monitor and a 1 year warranty, and the Logitech cordless desktop (because it's free!) and it comes to about £270. There are some issues with the Graphics card under Ubuntu, but as far as I can see, that's limited to the 3D accellerated stuff not being happy, which is completely irrelevant to me. And it'll have XP installed too, so if I feel the need to piss away some time, I can get Command and conquer installed...

Reply to
Doki

You say that like it's a bad thing...

Reply to
Conor

ROFL. Or DOS. Don't forget, you're not a real computer user until you take that 2007 PC, throw away decades of R&D into user interfaces and use it using a way that died the death over a decade ago - or so the Loonix brigade keep telling me.

Reply to
Conor

Shockwave can make real applications, flash just pretends to, but needs to talk to other things to do it.

You can write much more complex secure and practical apps with shockwave that would make the average flashurbator have screaming fit trying to work out how load the cut scene video intro in sync with retrieving the account data and making sure all online accounts are ready to go at the same time.

Reply to
Elder

Didn't you use Ubuntu a while ago? IMO it's a leap forward from how things used to be - you get a decent looking, logical UI from the start, and it finds and sets up your hardware most of the time. Certainly better than throwing away decades of R&D into producing a secure, reliable OS for the sake of a UI you're used to....

Reply to
Doki

Yes - still do.

My point is that the Loonix Advocacy Zealots bleat on about how people should be using a command line to perform tasks instead of a GUI. For example, setting up shares on Samba. They'd have you opening up a CLI, running nano, navigating to where the .conf file is, editing that with nano, then over to the other conf. files that need altering as well whereas someone using a GUI would fire up the GUI for Samba and tick a few boxes.

One takes a few seconds. The other takes quite a while - usually determined by how many man pages you need to read to find the switches you need for a command.

Reply to
Conor

Who gives a f*ck about what they think? In the real world, sane people do it the easy way.

The thing is, something like Ubuntu does what most people need to do very simply, and pretty much anything you want if you fiddle, considerably more reliably than Windows can. It's a big selling point in my book, I like things to just work.

A lot of people do - I even know people who use windows who deliberately don't install anything on their PC other than their essential productivity stuff because they know that bitrot will happen and in a year or two they'll need to fix it.

Reply to
Doki

If you do you are officially invited around my place for a curry.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I love the ipod. Brilliant bit of kit.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Fuck Nano - it's too simple, bring on Vi or Tex!

Reply to
Douglas Payne

*shudder*

At University, I had to write an EPOS front-end in Pascal, using Vi.

Reply to
SteveH

I bow to your superior perseverance.

Reply to
Conor

But if you did that, you would lose the deterministic hardware and associated minimal unnecessary driver overheads, and have all the same kind of compatibility and bloat-ware issues that windows has.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

They were the days - clicky keyboards, green screen terminals and f*ck-off big 160 column dot-matrix printers.

Reply to
SteveH