Do we have any video geeks in here?

For the trip to the 'ring , I'm thinking a small handycam like device might be quite cool. What are the brands of choice and what should I avoid? I'm not looking to spend a huge wedge, and won't be making professional movies here, it'll just be for fun. Something with some kinda image stabilisation would be quite good so my passenger can use it whilst we're driving as well.

I was thinking something along the lines of this -

-don't really wanna spend more than that cos I'll probably never use it again heh.

Yes I am aware you're not meant to film on the ring heh.

Cheers all!

Reply to
Iridium

We've carried in-car cameras in the pickup when Motors TV have filmed us race on occasion, and the camera they used was a Sony Handycam, so it should do you nicely for your trip around the ring. Fitted with a remote switch for on/off so Wilky could start it from the driver's seat (lol, you have to start it yourself, no studio remote control...).

The camera mount they used was interestingly lo-tech too and comprised of lots of blu-tak and some gaffer tape. Not as crappy as it sounds though, the blu-tak damped a load of vibrations. Maybe you could do something similar for a dash mount instead of the camera being held all the time. I'm assuming you're going round more than once?

Reply to
Abo

I find the sony stuff quite good but I thought they were now checking cars for cameras when the go out.

Reply to
Depresion

Don't forget to get some bits from here

I'd go with any small sony/canon/panasonic, try and get one which you can disable the autofocus on as it'll sit staring at your mirror, taxdisc,dashboard etc instead of looking at the blurring scenery. If you think you really will do this a few more times spend more and get a canon or panasonic with a stabilised lens. Or spend less and get the SD card based samsung...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

that'll do for what you want, get some kinda clamp tripod thing they aint exspensive. avoid dvd based camera's as they can't handle the high g's in corners as my boss found out in his juno although i'm not sure if a road car could make enough g. something to do with the disc flex as it's spinning. dunno what the physics are for it are called.

Reply to
Vamp

Gyroscopic Precession

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

yeah that shit :) basically brings the disc surface away from the laser so it doesn't burn properly if at all, makes interesting viewing mind hehe. although i did tell my boss that i could have saved him a lot of bother in the first place if he asked me bout what to get first as i already knew bout the camera not being able to handle the g's

Reply to
Vamp

Well the camera was more for the trip as well as the ring laps. Surely they wouldn't go through my passengers back pack?

Cheers for the input all, looks like a Sony Handycam then :-)

Reply to
Iridium

You get it with every camera at some point other than solid state flash memory ones. Even DV cameras due to the roary head, the tracking angles are very narrow...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

i guess being smaller helps, the dvd's have quite a wide area, solid state would be best i have to agree

Reply to
Vamp