Doug

Do I get the impression that you are just 'slightly' anti car??

Forgive me, I don't really know your background or whether or not you have driven a car in your life, but you seem to be the ultimate uber cyclist who actually can't see both sides of the story.

For those over on uk.rec.driving. Doug has just started what looks like a another rant about uninsured drivers.. Will he not be happy unless every vehicle on the road are destroyed and replaced with vegan beardies riding bicycles??

Debacler

Reply to
The Debacler

How on earth is this relevant to uk.rec.cars.modifications?

Reply to
Doki

Probably.

I used to drive cars for many years but finally got rid of my lifestyle dependency on them, thankfully.

No but I would like to see a drastic reduction in harmful mass car use and the dismantling of the all pervasive car culture which dominates these newsgroups and society at large. You may not be aware but there is a world-wide anti-car movement of which I am just a very small part.

-- World Carfree Network

for your car-addicted friends in the U.K.

Reply to
Doug

Yes, instead you just depend on other people who are using cars and other motorised transport to provide you with food, medicine and shelter.

What would happen if we all did that ?

The name for a person like that escapes me.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Doug gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Translation :- I lost my licence on medical grounds.

No shit! An "all-pervasive" car culture in uk.rec.driving and uk.rec.cars.* ...?

Who would have thought it?

Reply to
Adrian

I think some people have long suspected that you a very small part.

It's which part which is at issue.

Reply to
JNugent

Oh yes , Doug used to drive a large 4x4 , but when he could no longer afford to do so , he decided cars are evil and should be banned.

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

Has he anything to say on the subject of uninsured cyclists?

Hmm, I wonder why it is about the London Borough of Lewisham that attracts the fuckwits? Both Doug and Tom "Fuck Me I Can't Argue for Toffee" Crispin seem to exemplify the breed.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I have no objection to the lorries that deliver my food.

The world would be a much more tolerable and safer place but I could bear just a few motorists remaining.

What person?

-- Car Free Cities

Carfree Cities proposes a delightful solution to the vexing problem of urban automobiles.

Reply to
Doug

I take it that you don't know Lewisham that well?

PeterG

Reply to
PeterG

Doug gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

As long as they provided a personal service to you, right?

Reply to
Adrian

What, like people needing to get to work,ie: ambulance drivers/Firefighters/train drivers/ bankers/shopkeepers/roadsweepers/nurses/doctors/policemen/ etc....etc, the list goes on and on. So, who would you put on your list as essentially needing to use a car or van and those who shouldn't?

Bod

Reply to
Bod

It wouldn't happen overnight. Car use encourages decentralisation, dispersal and lengthy commutes, as well as frivolous wander-lust. A gradual reduction in car use would bring about closer home and work proximity and better public transport. Also the internet will reduce the need for travel.

-- UK Radical Campaigns

Travel broadens the damage.

Reply to
Doug

I would suggest that the 'wanderlust' percentage is relatively small per day.At a guess,I would think that a good 90% of car/van/lorry journeys are of an essential purpose.

Bod

Reply to
Bod

Don't forget the IT guy driving down the motorway Christmas Day, using his laptop to get an internet server working.

Reply to
Tony Dragon

e:

You saying that reminds me, have you got Vince's Report ready to publish?

PeterG

Reply to
PeterG

While pissed IIRC....

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Or freedom to roam.

Reply to
Elder

I vaguely recall Duggerlarse Bollen having a rant about my use of a FoB

4x4 to get into work when London's traffic ground to a halt in the snow. The irony that I was travelling to work to ensure than the infrastructure which he depends on to distribute his bile to the world was not lost upon me.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Correct. AS far as I know I've spent very little time there, if any. I once visited a friend of my daughter's, an actress who lived a short walk from the Cutty Sark and I've lectured at QMC on a visiting basis. I think that's about it. Even then I picked up the feeling that the average resident has problems with cranial/anal extraction.

Reply to
Steve Firth