Driving a Westfield...

Actually that was the car I was looking forward to most. Partially because I've seen how well they work on the track, partially because everybody seems to rave about them.

The car in question -

looked rather nice in the pictures and conversations with the ownerrevealed that they've put a lot of work into it and seemed to know whatthey were doing.

The father of the owner is a retired engineer and it was obvious which parts they had touched because the workmanship was of very high quality and show the sort of attention to detail that I really, really like.

But...

I don't fit it very well. It's been a long time since I've had that problem with a non-Italian car but I'm just a little too tall. The owner is about 5'9" at a guess and it fits him like a glove, but I'm 5'11" and I'd really need to sit a bit further back and move the pedals forward.

Driving it was interesting - the car had sat around a little and was popping and banging out the exhaust. Once we fed him some fresh petrol it calmed down noticeably (ukrcm diagnosis - shit in the carbs) so I think the owner is correct in assuming that it does need a good service and set up. And some new tyres - the ones on the car seemed to have lost a lot of their grip, if they ever possessed it in the first place.

Given that it's running a tuned crossflow I had the impression you needed to rev the bollocks off it - it doesn't have much in the way of low-down grunt and the gearing is pretty short so driving it for longer distance will make you wish you had bought a trailer very quickly.

All in all I can see why people rate them so highly but I don't think they are for me. A SEiW might be as it's a little longer as well but they're more money that I'm willing to spend. This one will make a nice Sunday afternoon hoon machine but I think I'd have to modify it a little too much for track work (no towing eyes for starters, would probably need the better RAC rollbar for my own piece of mind etc) and I'd need something that I can take on an already booked trackday September 1st.

On the way back I dropped in on a fellow Impactbumpers forum member to have a look at the 911 he's got for sale with a view of tracking that one, but after all this lightweight machinery it felt somewhat cumbersome. He even mentioned that he'd buy something like an Elise or Westfield for trackwork rather than taking a 911.

He's also got a '68 911 for sale for very reasonable money and I'm currently debating if I should consider selling mine and buying that one instead. But I think sanity will prevail on this one.

Reply to
Timo Geusch