Drove the new 6 litre SS commodore tonight.

Boring night so I figured I'd go take one for a blat. Good fun. For a big car it handles ok. Goes like stink. Makes all the right noises. Bit of a diff clunk in it. It was the orange jobby with the orange interior that was bloody horrible. All in all not a bad car. For Aus $50k drive away for the demonstrator I was fairly interested. Still have to go and drive a few other cars but I still think my next car will be a Liberty GT wagon or an STI.

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Have you driven a 2005 Mustang? Just interested because I'm seriously considering one and they're now at a price worth buying and shipping over.

Reply to
Conor

Nope. We don't get them over here except as imports for around the Aus$130k mark. Just not worth. The Ford V8 performance offering is the XR8. I've driven one as the ute version but was fairly unimpressed by it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Thought they only called it the Liberty in the US ?

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Not bad, they're GB £35k here. I fancy a go in one myself, the Vauxhall garage near Middlesbrough's Riverside Stadium sold Monaros, so I reckon they'll get the new one in.

Reply to
Abo

i'd like one can't afford an 05 one but i'd like a late 90's one or failing that a vanilla ice 5.0 GT drop top :)

Reply to
Vamp

I want one. Mrs F reckons it's a chest-wig car so she doesn't want one. Sadly the ones worth having (the 5.4V8 Premium GT or better) are still fecking expensive. Cloth upholstered 4.0s manual V6 are cheap, in every sense of the word. You do realise that in many respects that model is a close cousin to my Exploder?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Nope. Here as well. Everywhere else it is the Legacy.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Means it'll be easy to get bits from local Ford.

Was looking at the prices that the V8's are fetching on Ebay in the US though.

Cheaper to buy, ship and import than buying a new Skoda Octavia. Even a low miler Shelby can be bought for under £20k.

Like the look of this.

My mid was made up when I saw one the other week on the M1. Looked and sounded exactly as I expected.

Reply to
Conor

Me2, but I would prefer the Roush Mustang to the Shelby.

Reply to
Steve Firth

TBH I've not looked into the differences between them that much. I think it's just that Shelby is the most known due to the 64/5 Mustang v conversions they did.

Reply to
Conor

You should totally get that one in that link :-)

Reply to
Iridium

Shelby has higher BHP, Roush has far better handling with a completely re-built rear end including IRS.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Can't see any mention on the Roush website, not even on the Stage 3 Blackjack. There are e.g. no wishbones specced in the suspension kit, so it must retain the solid rear axle. Looking at what you *do* get (struts, springs, ARBs) it looks like an upgrade to say, a 3 linked setup.

Reply to
Abo

OK, I was fairly sure it did include a new rear axle and wishbones. Obviously wrong.

Reply to
Steve Firth

TBH I don't understand why they wouldn't offer an IRS upgrade! I mean, if you're going to spend that much on the car you might as well lob an extra couple of grand in and get IRS. Maybe their customers will be more interested in drag racing rather than taking it to the track :(

Reply to
Abo

The Roush reputation is that it's a faster track car than the Shelby. Shelby is better for drag. Obviously terms like "faster" are are all relative in this context since even an Elise will piss all over the Mustang on the track.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Indeed. You don't buy a Yank for its precise handling and skateboard like cornering.

Reply to
Conor

The advantage of a Mustang with the smaller 4.0 Cologne engine in my experience is that the Mustang will still be running and looking good at

240,000 miles and it won't have cost a great deal in maintenance over that period.
Reply to
Steve Firth