dvd writer prob!

got a prob with my dvd writer and it's starting to really piss me off!

i'm not trying to burn a dvd but it does the same thing when i've tried it. basically all i'm doing is puting MP3's onto a cd. i normally use the shitty windows xp to copy the files to a data cd and this has always worked ok but now i always get a message saying the cd is unwritable. which it isn't because i've always used the discs and i've got some older discs i've used before and it says the same thing but it doesn't even try to write!

no i've tried nero and this gets a bit further. it burns it all then i get a message saying couldn't open file and it lists basically all the stuff i was trying to copy.

strange thing is after this when you put the disc back into the comp or into a cd player it shows all the tracks even gives the size of the mp3 file ect but it's like there's no data just a track list.

could it be a buggered drive? any ideas anyone?

Reply to
Vamp

I'd try writing a completely different type of file first, from another drive if possible, just to check it's not a problem with the files you're trying to write.

Reply to
Homer

done that still have the same problem :( does the same thing, really bugging me now i'm sure the drive is buggered, might try taking the drive out and see if it'll write in another comp

Reply to
Vamp

Yep, I'd agree, sounds like a duff DVD writer if you're sure the discs are good, try it in another PC if you can. Only other thing I would think of would be a virus or trojan infection.

Reply to
Homer

Sounds like it's not writing the lead out or lead in correctly, you could try reinstalling Nero incase it's just a knackered driver that is replaced after that I'm afraid you will have to splash out a twenty quid on a new drive. (Or £140 to get one that also reads Blu-Ray and HD DVD).

Reply to
Depresion

DVD writes are so cheap I wouldn't even bugger around with it. Chuck it and get a new one.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston