E-code head lamps in Euro Toyota Camrys?

In the USA version of 1987-1991 Toyota Camry we got the standard non-upgradeable headlight reflectors (in a proprietary shape) with 9007 bulbs. I'd like to upgrade the bulbs, but the glass in the standard reflector is so poorly ground that installing brighter bulbs results in simply blinding oncoming traffic. And the contacts for the bulb are so tiny that the increased current of a brighter bulb simply melts the plastic connector housing. (Can you say "Where did I put that extinguisher?")

While e-code replacement lamps are available for many models of car, as far as I can see they're not available for the 87-91 Camry. Nonetheless I'm curious to know what style of reflector and bulbs were in Camrys delivered to countries (including, of course, UK) outside N. America.

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

DaveC gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Was it the same car? It wouldn't be the first time that US and Euro versions have shared only a badge.

This is what we got as the '87-91 Camry...

Bear in mind UK headlights would be no use to you, as they'd dip the wrong way for US traffic - you'd want them from a LHD European country.

Reply to
Adrian

I think so. This is the car:

Yes, I know. Just trying to determine if e-code lamps were on any of the non-US cars. Then I can focus on LHD countries.

What NG's would be good to post in for non-US, non-UK, non-AU car groups?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC
[...]

Perhaps not a good question to ask in a UK NG!

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

try the peeps over on pistonheads.com in the jap chat forum they'll either know or point you in the right direction

Reply to
Vamp

Thanks. Will do.

Hmph.

Reply to
DaveC

DaveC gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Trying to source headlights from LHD versions of a car that - even RHD - was utterly unloved and unwanted in this country 20 years ago...?

Reply to
Adrian

Try aus.cars.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

"Fraser Johnston" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

RHD country, so the lights'd be the wrong way round for US.

Reply to
Adrian

So is the UK?????

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

But he wanted them for the US.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

"Fraser Johnston" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes, dear. I know, dear.

That's why I pointed that out when the thread first appeared a week or three ago.

Reply to
Adrian

But he didn't seem to care or he wouldn't of posted it in a uk newsgroup. To quote his message "Nonetheless I'm curious to know what style of reflector and bulbs were in Camrys delivered to countries (including, of course, UK) outside N. America"

And there is a few Camry owners on aus.cars. They are common as rust on an Alfa around these parts.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

"Fraser Johnston" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

He's a 'merkin. He probably didn't even know or care there was a difference between LHD and RHD headlamps... (assuming he was even aware that some of us drive on the wrong side of the road)

Reply to
Adrian