Ebay, autotrader or both?

For the Golf, that is. As it has been pointed out, at least last weekend there weren't any Mk IV TDIs on autotrader at the price I'm asking for mine, even if I "undo" the ukrcm discounts.

Is it worth bunging on there at all or am I better off just sticking it up on fleabay?

Reply to
Timo on tour

I'm wondering the same about the Puma. In the past, I've found I get serious buyers through AT rather than fleabay. I don't know how much it's worth either though..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I think that "niche" cars go well on ebay. I often thought that if I stuck my big red Merc on ebay as soon as I bought it off Autotrader I'd have made a few quid. Even when it was dead and had been hammered by me for over a year it still fetched more than a third of what I paid for it in the first place.

A Golf TDI is a fairly conventional car but it's an estate too which makes is a bit niche... hmm.

What about neither and sticking it on Pistonheads?

Reply to
fishman

From what I'm hearing, Auto Trader, ebay classified with 'make offer', pistonheads.

eBay charge too much for auctions now, and all the paypal bollocks they've introduced has taken a lot of confidence out of the way it works. The classified bit seems to be a lot less hassle as well. None of the non-paying lunatics bidding with a classified.

Reply to
Pete M

One of the guys at work had a lot more genuine interest with an Ebay=20 Classified for a week, then with 3 weeks in the autotrader, and got far=20 less of the "We have buyer with finance ready to buy your car for your=20 price, just bung us =A380" types calling.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

I've just found the opposite, been trying to sell a car for a couple of months with the eBay classifieds with best offer. Twice I officially accepted offers and the buyers vanished, no refunds from eBay. As well as several others that made unofficial offers then vanished. Listed it in a five day auction and it's now sold (deposit received) for several hundred more than the offers I had previously accepted :-)

Reply to
Homer

Timewasters using Autotrader have to physically make an effort to waste you time.

Ebay is an idiot magnet

Reply to
Shaun

I never bother with the cars listed as classified ads, there is no fun in them.

Reply to
Depresion

My recent experience suggests that eBay is NOT the place to sell cars any more. Trillions of insane questions from half-wits who have apparently not even looked at the advert and who get shirty when you won't accept an offer of several hundred under the asking price on a sub-grand car. In the end I stumped up for an AT ad, signed up for the Telesafe thing to avoid canvassers. 4 days later it was sold, so that would be my current recommendation.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I'll start with Pistonheads and AT, if I don't get a response I can always try ebay. Pretty much everybody who's vaguely connected to the trade and has seen the car suggests that I either have the pricing spot on or slightly too cheap, so we'll see what the market says...

Reply to
Timo on tour

I find the telesafe thing just stops people calling. That's the one where the buyer has to stump up 50p or summat to be connected innit?

Reply to
Pete M

Yup. I refuse to call some premium rate number just to buy a sodding car.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Snap...

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

As I said the other day, eBay BIN with best offer works well.

You can set it so it automatically accepts a offer above a certain amount and rejects others below a certain amount.

I wouldn't bother with the classified function tbh.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

I wouldn't recommend setting an amount to automatically accept. If someone accidentally enters the wrong amount or just changes their mind after clicking the button you have to pay for another advert, eBay don't refund the fee if the sale doesn't go through. At least if it's not automatic you have a chance to talk to them first to ensure it's a genuine offer.

Reply to
Homer

By 'the fee', I take it you mean the listing fees rather than the final fees, as you get the latter back.

ensure it's a genuine

I've sold loads of things this way on there of late... never had a problem.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

You could be right. I thought it was 25p - wouldn't be the sort of sum to stop me phoning about a car I was genuinely interested in, and it definitely stopped the canvassers. From previous experiences I have grown to loath canvassers with a passion[1], so I decided to try it this time.

[1] they almost exclusively seem to employ cocky young blokes who think they can sell anything to anyone, and don't realise that the chances of that happening after they've pissed someone off are zero.
Reply to
Albert T Cone

Yes, the listing fee. I've managed to not sell the same car twice recently after accepting offers :-(

Reply to
Homer

Happened to me twice when I was flogging a cheap old Escrot van.

Reply to
Pete M
.

Well... the clue is maybe in the words 'cheap' and 'old'.

There are loads of 'bottom feeders' as I like to call them, on eBay - potless dreamers who see something 'cheap', as in sub =A3500, and then think 'sure I can get the money together' without really working out whether or not they can, and then can't.

Timos Golf is cheap for what it is... but unlikely to attract one of the above IMHO.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH