Engine building - quality parts?

[sorry -couldn't keep away] Hi all, Got hold of an audi 2.0l block recently for a bit of an engine building and swapping project in my Scirocco, and was wondering on where to find quality replacement parts such as pistons, con-rods and other fairly essential innards. I'm guessing I'll need a rebore, there's quite a pronounced lip at the top of the bores, so it makes sense if I need oversize pistons to get good ones.

I hear names like Mahle & K.S. batted around by others, but could do with knowing how the cost/performance ratio works out. It it worth getting uprated components just for reliability and future tuning options, or are 'standard' parts as offered by your half-decent rebuilder good enough for most applications bar the out-and-out crazy..

I'm not building a screamer here, though might toy with the idea of forced induction at a later stage, it's gonna be an 8v too, if that counts for much.

Cheers all

Giles

Stick forged ones in for safety when you add the nitrous...

Reply to
Burgerman

If theres any lip at all it needs boring... Crank may be ok if inmarked, rods should be ok, maybe new bolts, shells?

Reply to
Burgerman

Get in touch with your local engineering/grinding place, they'll have a large selection of parts at cheapo prices. Last week I bought a set of piston rings, big-end/main bearings, crank thrust bearings, full gasket set and a set of valve stem seals for £90 ! I'd been looking at other online sources so was expecting Much more than that. They were all quality branded parts too (Payen, AE, FedMog stuff...)

Where in the country are you ?

Reply to
Tony Bond

My advice? Get a decent re-con 1.8 16V engine for around a grand and lob that in. Saves time and effort and will net the same power gain. If your looking at rebuilding an old engine wihout going for that crazy rev limit etc. then just lob a re-con in.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

christ almighty, what car was that and where did u get the parts?

Reply to
Theo

Don't wanna valver.

I like the characteristics of the 8v too much, and I'm not in it for flat out power, I want something flexible, plus half the fun & heartache is in building it yerself.

So back the the original question... :-)

Burgerman- Is it just the pistons that are the weakness when having fun with nitrous? Are there other failure points that need attention?

Tony - that sounds like an incredibly good price, whats the catch? I'm in Bristol btw.

I'm seeing costs for between 80 & 110quid a piston online for forged pistons, is this the going rate or is the better to be found the old fashioned way (yellow pages)? Any reccomendations?

Cheers once again

Giles

Crossflow ;)

Can't really mention the name of the place 'cos it was a late Friday afternoon patented "(wink) and I won't need a receipt" type transaction ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond

Small doses say 40 percent boost, stock bits will be fine. Above this you might need better pistons, or not depends. If set up a little retarded and rich then HUGE power increases can work on stock motors. Possible probs usually pistons, or head gaskets and clutch slip.

Well built stock healthy motors are fine unless you want "conventional" tuning, where you need to rev it more.

Reply to
Burgerman

Oh, I forgot... Look at "engine Preparation" ???

Burgerman - John C Williamson

Reply to
Burgerman

I might have guessed.