Engine choice. Decisions decisions.

Find a rotten Capri special, remove engine and drivetrain, add 2 turbos, bolt in to Laser. Et voila, a Capri Laser with a nice v6/turbo soundtrack,

200+bhp and an LSD. What more is needed? My mate recently (well last year) got rid of a rotten special for a pint of ale.

If not, then it would have to be a Rover v8 surely?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

BMW and Merc V8's are usually cheap. There's a Merc alloy 5.0L V8 with auto box on eBay now, currently at £10.50.

Homer

I don't know if it will fit the Crapi, but the Ford 4.0 V6 from the Mustang / Explorer is IIRC based on the Cologne 3.0 V6. The engines are cheap, and they are fairly easy to modify for more power.

The stock engine is 154kW (206bhp) at 5250rpm and 323Nm of torque at

3000rpm. The following site:

Suggests that an Eaton Supercharger can take that to 300bhp with the standard injectors and that with a bit of twiddling 450bhp is possible.

I've seen the engines come up on Ebay but it's probably cheaper to find a rolled Explorer - there seem to be several of those around.

Reply to
Steve Firth

yeah

what?

Yeah

Light?

Chev 350 no, 454. ring up a scrappy in canada, get an old one for 50 quid, ship it over, tinker with it. Tough as old boots, not so sure about light though.

You know you want to.

Reply to
conkersack

I could. But its really not a straight swap! Lots of things different to a sierra there too. But small block fords go in easily, seen lots at the strip. They are cheap, parts are cheap, they sound great! And you could have a big blower hanging out of the bonnet.

Reply to
Burgerman

A recon SD1 box will almost straight swap for the ford box, with gear lever through same hole. Been there! And they are pretty good if filled with nice thin transmission fluid. A 2.6 or 3.5 one are ok.

Reply to
Burgerman

8.32?
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That's the ferrari one yea?

Nice. Nice. But didn't they only make some puny power output?

Reply to
DanTXD

Big Merkin V8?

Someone in Practical Classics or Classics has done it..... 5lt V8, ISTR.

Reply to
SteveH

Why? Jap stuff is good.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Only choice left would be a small block chev 350.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Volvo T5 engine is good for 350bhp on stock internals - should be some at your local major scrappie.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Same as the turbo but heavier.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Ask in the V8 forums.

Fair enough point. Only need to add repair plates to the top of the front suspension struts to give the extra strengthening it'll need.

:-)

Reply to
Conor

That is a small US V8

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Will Holman editor of Practical Performance car now.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

fishman