exhaust note

hi goto:

this is the kinda noise i want for my 1993 honda civic LSI 1.5. it's gonna be a standard engine with full (most probably manifold & de-cat) exhaust system, and induction kit of some sort (HKS, blitz, K&N etc)

to get the noise in the link is it major £££ spent on engine, or is it a certain exhaust type or what?

finally, what system bore could i safely goto over the standard bore? i`m thinking 0.5" bigger, with a 3.5-4" rear can.

thanks tim draper

Reply to
Tim Draper

I'm thinking it is doable, but why?

If all you want is noise, why not make a loop of it on CD, and play it through a big speaker at the lights?

If you want a tuned exhaust system, and an induction kit, plus other work to get more power, and then get the noise as a coincidental byproduct, fair enough. But if all you want is an all show, now go car with a fart can, why bother?

But what you describe (manifold/De-cat/.5" bigger bore (I wouldn't go biger than a 3" tailpipe personally, it's horrible to find a suffocated cat there when you get to work, 'cos all it wanted was a warm place to kip last night), with an induction kit, and an uprated fuel pressure regulator (add a ecu reprogram and bigger injectors to make the most of the fuel)) will give you some more go, more throttle response and punch instead of a real kick in the pants feel, but worth doing. You can afford it can't you. not just the mod cost, but what the insurance will hike on top?

If it is a VTEC engine I think you can get a piggy back control box that lets you tune the point that the VTEC system operates. That can make a difference too. Might as well go all the way. It will never be fast with those kind of mods, but it will be quick. And if the brakes and suspension are done to match it will handle too. And if you are going to sound quick you might as well have something to back it up. and as you haven't done much to mess with the internals, engine life should still be not far off standard, as long as normal service intervals/maintenance are kept up.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

THe large Cherry Bomb rear silencers will give you a similar noise but=20 TBH you've got a pissy little engine so you're only going to get fairly=20 close. =20

--=20 ________________________ Conor Turton conor snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com ICQ:31909763 ________________________

Reply to
Conor

You actually want your car to sound like a shitbox?? hah

Knock yourself out!!

Reply to
Andy R

I'm sat here laughing my arse off. You want to remove the CAT to get a better throttle response on a 1.2L car? What the hell for? You're not going to notice it. In order to get better throttle response you've got to have some power there to start off with. On a 1.2L engine, the CAT is definitely not a restrictive component.

Reply to
Conor

it's the 1.5litre engine, not 1.2. do they do a 1.2 in the civic?

Reply to
Tim Draper

i asked for help, not a sarcastic, non helpful remark.

my taste is different from yours, as it could be different to the next moddifier. much like i could like indian/curries and you might not.

if i wanted to hear from an asshole, i`d fart.

Reply to
Tim Draper

I was being helpful.

DON'T DO IT!

Reply to
Andy R

nice comeback. Keep it up, and you will fit in well :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

LOL, I got "Corsa" fixed in my head somehow.

Reply to
Conor

shame Andy R private mailed me a 'and if i wanted to see an asshole i`d look in the mirror' obviously not the guts to say it in here.

-- tim

Reply to
Tim Draper

As a young driver with a cheap car fc's pointless as if you claim your insurance gets even sillier.

Reply to
James Grabowski

good idea. i`ll have to think about it. might just stick a rear box on it, either a 3.5" or a jap style 4.5-5" depending on back pressure.

i know the effect of weak back pressure, had a 998cc mini with a std system bore, and twin 3" dtm. needed the revs way above 5k to get any 'performance'.

Reply to
Tim Draper

That's stupidly high insurance. Out of interest what do you do and where do you live? I'm guessing student and Manchester/Liverpool?

Reply to
James Grabowski

If the car is worth more than the difference between 3ft and full comp it's probably worth it (remember to account for the excess too).

Too many young drivers buy death-trap cheapo french cars and wrap them around trees, killing themselves and their friends. They should spend a little more on something worth looking after and look after it.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Nothing to do with the 3" system, just the 998 :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

coventry, as a motor mechanic a good bit of coventry too.

as for high insurance, the 306 was £1600 (like i said in last post) everywhere else (theaa.co.uk, direct line, norwich union, tescos insurance, a few young driver places in the back of fastcar & maxpower) all wanted £2200 minimum for same cover.

Reply to
Tim Draper

That's why. Insurance companies automatically assume that because you're a mechanic you'll be driving loads of cars on the one policy so they load it to hell.

Reply to
Conor

so very true.

shame it's nothing good though. i`m a fleet mechanic, so it's transit vans, escort and feista deisels mainly.

-- tim

Reply to
Tim Draper