Expensive Timing light broken - Help!?!?

Borrowed a nice shiny timing light from a friend. One of the £100 fancy ones that allows you to set ignition advance.

Was trying to time up my car and was working fine - reading rpm accurately and everything.

When I tried again later, the rpm signal was very weak - 100-200rpm (when before it had been reading 900-1000). Randomly the light and rpm counter match the engine speed but then it goes back. Xenon bulb seems to be working fine.

Think it might be the inductive pickup. Any thoughts?

May have to buy a new one to replace it... :o(

Any help much appreciated!

DT

Reply to
David Tanner