Extra ways to secure a car

Apart from the normal ways to secure a car, like immobiliser/alarm for example. Are their many other ways to help make it twoc'er proof? The reason why I ask, is if I go to Sunderland uni, some chav is bound to try and nick my car.

I was thinking about a hidden start button similar to the race bred variety? I've seen them for sale in demon tweaks... but how easy would it be to by pass?

De locking the doors and replacing with solenoids... but of course they can just go hi-tech and use a brick on the window! Although I would only probably bother doing this on the GTi.

Is it possible to disconnect fuel lines on a diesel without screwing up the engine?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Reply to
REMUS

I found when I kept my 60 kilo mastiff and my 45 kilo Rotti x Pitbull in the back of my Landcruiser no-one would go near it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

A mate of mine as a Landie leightweight which is completely open. He lives in a semi rough area and just takes the ignition coil lead out when he leaves it.

Wouldnt work on a diesel but would could disconnect the stop soleniod on the diesel pump, assuming you're talking about the 205

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I'm giving that to my sister, i'm having a mk3 Astra TDi since she needs a smaller car. She had a laptop rather than a car for her birthday and the lazy bum doesn't have a job so I offered her the 205 to learn in :)

Reply to
REMUS

C&R enterprises do a kit you fit to the gear stick in the golf that locks it with a relatively out of the way barrel.

Reply to
Depresion

Its diesel? Fit a small ball type valve in the supply pipe. Concrete the wheels into the ground. (this really works) Take the stop wire off. Depending on the wheels fit a disk lock (you need to drill your disks with a few holes like a bike.) These work great, I had a padlock through the disk on a big bike parked on the path outside a party in majorca years ago. When I left at about 9000rpm at 2am I got about 25 feet, before landing on the road with much amusement and merryment at my expense...

Very

Only by fitting a) a quarter turn type valve like a washing machine. b) a solenoid valve (see nitrous site) in the fuel supply line.

It diesel, claim insurance buy car with proper engine?

Reply to
Burgerman

Not a bad idea at all man! So I just drill a hole big enough for a pad lock and stick it on at night? Shouldnt damage the brake pads since you can get drilled&groved discs anyway.

Burgerman, diesels are cheaper to insure and run I don't care what you say :P

*fingers in ears*

la la la la

Reply to
REMUS

Of course they are - nobody wants to steal them + they are so gutless they use no fuel!

Reply to
Burgerman

2 more... Wire up to 240v live... and... Fit a sharpened large airshifter type ram vertically under drivers seat, connect to where oil pressure switch goes with a tee peice.. Fit a similar quarter turn valve in pipe to deactivate it, never never never forget it! Leave keys in. Once word gets aroung you will have no bother with thieves, but maybe with gays / weirdos!
Reply to
Burgerman

LOL! When you are right, your right!

Reply to
REMUS

delock the car and fit a RCL alarm type thing. and get some tints done on the windows. they have no bearing on security themselves but the tint film will give a bit of strength to the glass itself. meaning that your average smash and run toerag wont hang around when his brick doenst go right thru. failing that Disconnect the battery/stop wire and fit a couple of immobiliser switches round the car ie hide a switch in the ashtray and one under the glove box or something. above all why worry if the thieves want it they'll have it no matter what precautions you take.

Reply to
Rob

Buy a stinking pile of shit. In Sunderland, they have a tendency just to tow them.

Reply to
Conor

buy a disclock for the steering wheel job over

Reply to
dojj

However it seems to be discontinued. They come up on ebay every now and then but I would be wary about attempting to import one, you could end up being "busted by the feds" early one morning.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

Hey

I went to Sunderland Uni, I don't recall anyone having any trouble on campus. depending where you stay may make a difference, if I remember rightly most the halls of residences have barriers on so actually driving off with yours car is quite unlikely but as for breaking in/vandalism, the barriers wont do much to stop that!

Hope this helps

Rich

P.S. Northumbria Police do campus watch and you can borrow from them a wheel/crook lock ( or you could) free of charge but your had to be over a certain age.

P.P.S Chavs are also known as Charva's up here which confused a few of my friends from down south when they first came up!

Reply to
Richard

But your CAR had to be over a certain age

Sorry about that!!

Reply to
Richard

->> Is it possible to disconnect fuel lines on a diesel without screwing up

->> the engine?

You could if it was a common rail system.

->> Any other suggestions would be appreciated!

I used to take the steering wheel off.

Reply to
Geoff