FAO SteveH, PeteM etc... Alfa advice req.

Looking at a couple of 145s just now, one of which is this.

Any thoughts, gentlemen ?

P.S. the other car is a 1.6 in dark grey metallic with steel wheels and hubcaps for 50 quid more. So, naturally I favour the red 1.8 with alloys.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Ooppssss.

Err - the first car on that page - the 795 quid one.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I wouldn't - only 120bhp, if it's a TSpark, however, depending on the age, it could be the woefully underpowered 1.6 Boxer which was a complete waste of time and not very reliable.

Yup. Looks OK to me.

Check it's had a cambelt change, or budget £250 to have one done ASAP - Alfa say it's due at 72k miles / 5 years, but most people do 'em on 36k miles / 3 years to be on the safe side.

Listen for a 'diesel' clatter on startup - if it happens and lasts for more than a few seconds it means the cam variator needs replacing - see above.

Check the keys to ensure you get the 'master' key or getting spares will be a PITA.

That's about it, really. The 1.8TS is quite a nice car - not quite as much of a nutter's car as the Cloverleaf, but it's only 10bhp down (1.8 puts out 140bhp, not bad for a 1.8).

Lets put it this way.... if I were closer, I'd be buying that this morning.

Reply to
SteveH

Yup, *avoid* the Boxer.

Get the belt and tensioner done. *Don't* try and do it yourself unless you've got the special tools.

If it happens at all the variator needs replacing. a good variator is quiet from the start.

If, however, you don't have the master key - like me, just nip to the local locksmith and a new key, coded, will cost around £30.

Get a 155 instead, Bob...

Reply to
Pete M

Ooh, interesting, I've tried all mine to get a Panzer key, but no-one can do it.

Alternatively, I've just found out that it's easy to bypass the immobiliser, see Car Mechanics October edition.

Reply to
SteveH

It's not urgent until it takes more than about 10 seconds to go away, IME. A couple of seconds isn't a big deal and can be put on the 'things to do when I have the money' list, assuming there's evidence of a recent-ish belt change service.

Reply to
SteveH

Well.

I did the only sensible thing.

The Red 1.8 TS was sold before I got to it. The Grey 1.6 TS was sold by the time I got to that as well.

So I did a bit more trawling and bought precisely what I had set out to avoid......

An 8 valve 1.6 boxer.

However.

The proverbial 1 lady owner / FSH / Mint interior / Mint Body / Four matching virtually new Pirellis / 11 months MOT and all the bills. Feels as tight as a very tight thing and err that's about it. Knocked a bit off the asking price as well, as you do. Pics to follow.

So, not quite what I had been looking for, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it for as long as I have it (however long that may be).

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Put it towards breakdown cover. Now. :-)

-- Tell me your birthday!

Called Pete? Join The Pete Collective NOW at

AstraVanMan

He'll need it. Boxer engined 145/6s have a bit of a reputation.

Even compared with other Alfas.

Reply to
SteveH

Yes.

Right up to the point where they start playing up... :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Fairy 'nuff.

I will tell all...

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Which way does the engine point in these? If it's transverse, it it amusing fitting it in? (and are the driveshafts underneath it?)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Longitudinal in front of the transmission - just like a Subaru. Same as the Audi 80 / A4 as well (except for it being a boxer of course).

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

They weren't produced side by side, it was a considerable re-engineering project to switch the 145/146 to Twinspark engines.

Mind you, it was one hell of a project to fit a boxer engine into a Tipo based chassis in the first place, so the TSparks just reverted to the Tipo layout, as I recall.

Reply to
SteveH

Makes sense - I forgot it would be nice and short.

Are the tspark + diesel engines longitudinal too?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Nope - conventional transverse, although I'm not aware of a UK market 145 diesel. In fact I'm certain there was no such thing.

147 diesel - yes.
Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Fair enough. Interesting having different engines pointing different ways on the same car.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Steve - Major Update !!!!!

That's like 18 hours dude and it hasn't broken down yet.

Am I doing something wrong ? Or should I just wait for the inevitable to happen ?

;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

But have you driven it yet ? ;)